Langley, Washington, United States
- Last updated: February 8, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: November 20, 2014
Upper Langley is an intentional neighborhood that celebrates community, nature, ecological sustainability, and simplicity while providing perpetually affordable housing in the city limits of Langley, Washington. In the spirit of service, we benefit in the sharing of ideas, time, skills, tools, and responsibilities. We enjoy communal time while respecting individual and family needs. We honor our connection to the earth, to our neighbors both on the shared land as well as our wonderful town of Langley, and the world community.
16 families have joined to share and care for 10 acres of forest and meadow at the edge of Langley town on South Whidbey Island, walkable to Salish Sea shore (Puget Sound) and one hour north of downtown Seattle (including fifteen minute ferry ride). Each family income qualifies at medium or low income level to own a 2000 sq. ft. lot (plus their equal share of the remaining 10 acres) on which to design/build their own home, under 975 sq.ft. There are 6 homes built and inhabited, 3 more homes in building phase and the Common house currently
being designed to be built in 2018. Homes and lots will remain perpetually affordable.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2010
- Start Living Together: 2017
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://upperlangley.wordpress.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/upperlangley/?fref=ts
- Contact Name: upperlangley
- Phone: 360 770 1193
- Community Address:
1142 Al Anderson Avenue
Langley, Washington, 98260
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Small Town or Village
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Community government is a Home Owners Association. Consensus is used for decision making.
- Join Fee: $77000
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $75
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
Monthly “dues” are currently $75, for development and maintenance of shared land (forest and garden) and building maintenance, improvements and utilities (Commons house, various out buildings).
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Hot tub or hot springs, Recreational vehicles, Gym or sports area
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Individuals will determine their dietary preferences and frequency of shared meals are determined by all residents and are presently at least twice monthly. Individual dietary preferences are respected.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Buddhist, Wiccan, Protestant, Quaker, Unitarian Universalist, Paganism or Earth Religions, Agnostic, Humanist
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US, Northwest Intentional Communities Association
The remarkable greater South Whidbey community
respect,joy,participation,sharing,sustainable,organic,living lightly,perpetually affordable,natural