Nourishing Northwest Living
- Forming Communities
- Arlington Heights, Washington
Rooted NW is Western Washington’s newest agrivillage, combining village living and permaculture farming. It will be a place where the community emerges from shared values, meaningful work, everyday interaction, and is supported by participatory decision-making.
Rooted NW will sit on 240 acres of upland farm east of the city of Arlington, WA. The property has been farmed by a local family for over 100 years, and we are proud to carry on their tradition of land stewardship. We sought out farmland at risk of development to regenerate the land.
The property is a convenient one-hour drive to Seattle or Bellingham, within biking distance to downtown Arlington, and the Skagit Valley Co-op isn’t far away. The land contains a mix of trees, pasture and cropland. The property sits at 300′ elevation and gently slopes to the south. There are two ponds, and we’re hoping to make more. The soils are fertile and rich. The way it is nestled into the surrounding landscape provides for plenty of privacy and the farm naturally forms a variety of outdoor rooms.
Living at Rooted NW means fostering a community that embraces stewardship of the land and human connection in a rural setting. We are passionate about the following values:
- Autonomy with Shared Responsibility: We are strong believers in personal freedom and choices that add to collective good.
- Ecological Stewardship & Resilience: We take care of the earth so the earth can take care of us across generations.
- Participatory, Democratic Governance: We all are included in action-oriented governance and decision-making.
- Inclusion: We work to nurture each other and to acknowledge and undo our collective internal systems of oppression to become a more inclusive and diverse community.
- Meaningful Work: We offer an opportunity to live a life that is deeply satisfying.
Members have full access to community facilities and activities, and participate in decision-making that affects Rooted NW design, processes and direction. Rooted NW members will own homes in the village and an equal share of the common buildings and agricultural land. Members can engage in expertly managed and facilitated decision-making practices if they feel passionate about an area and want to contribute their expertise.
Rooted NW members are beginning to design the village, with building completion projected by 2024. Our village will encompass a community of 35 dwellings that will include a mix of single-bedroom, 2-, 3-, and 4-bedroom homes. In addition, all members will enjoy the commons, which will include large dining areas, outdoor spaces, workshops, storage and farming infrastructure.
The village will be designed based on input from the members via four to five workshops facilitated by renowned architects and cohousing designers and input from experts in regenerative design:
- Workshop 1: Community Layout (held October 2020)
- Workshop 2: Commons Programming
- Workshop 3: Home design – high level
- Workshop 4: Commons detailed design
- Workshop 5: Homes detailed design
Excited about our vision? We would love to explore how you might fit into the Rooted NW family. If you’d like to learn more or have any questions, please get in touch! You can also check out our FAQ page for answers to commonly asked questions.