Florence, Massachusetts, United States
- Last updated: August 21, 2016 (9 months ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Pathways Co-Housing community, located on a 40-acre wooded site, is a short bike ride away from Northampton, MA. It is a place where members’ lives are enriched through the regular sharing of time, celebrations, meals and designated facilities. Semi-private back yards have easy access to walking trails and to Rocky Hill Cohousing, a 5-minute walk through the woods.
Solar panels are sprinkled on some of the roofs and all homes carry the ENERGY STAR label. Our common house offers a place to gather for dining, sharing common interests, ping pong and game night, dancing and parties, and community meetings. The two guestrooms are often used by extended family and visitors.
Kindness, simplicity, and respect for the values and needs of others are our guidelines. We seek to create and maintain a nurturing environment for children that fosters independence and respect for others. We wholeheartedly embrace the diversity of our immediate community and extended community; we endeavor to include and fully support a diverse range of cultures, religions, ages, genders, sexual preferences, classes, and family constellations. We maintain our land and facilities in an environmentally sound fashion, have a community garden, and use consensus as the primary mode of decision-making.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1995
- Start Living Together: 2000
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Alexis Kumar
- Phone: 413-367-6767
- Community Address:
Mountain Laurel Path
Florence, Massachusetts, 01062
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
a Board of Trustees
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
approximately 8 hrs per month in committee work, cleaning the Common House, snow removal, etc.
monthly condo fee
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Energy sources: Solar
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Outbuilding(s), Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Sunday night supper club
smoking is not allowed in Common House
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Protestant, Unitarian Universalist, Paganism or Earth Religions, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property, Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)