North Burnaby, Canada
- Last updated: December 20, 2018 (3 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: October 21, 2004
balance privacy and community
Cranberry Commons Cohousing is in an “urban village” setting. We wanted housing that would support greater social interconnectedness while making efficient use of resources. With the support and services of our selected professional team, we managed the challenges of the development process: securing a site, negotiating with the regulatory authorities for development approvals, securing the financing, building membership, and creating an organizational structure that allowed for an effective and timely consensus decision-making process. We formed a development corporation and acted as the developer to complete a 22-home multi-family residential building with 3400 sq ft of common amenity area. Construction was completed in October of 2001.
Each household at Cranberry Commons privately owns a complete, self-contained home. Community connection is supported by the physical layout of our site and by the involvement of all members in the development and operation of the community using consensus decision making.
In addition to its social focus, Cranberry Commons holds respect for the environment as one of its highest values. We have attempted to incorporate sustainability into every aspect of the community design, starting with the selection of the site right up to the solar hot water panels that were installed on the roof.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1992
- Start Living Together: 2001
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.cranberrycommons.ca
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://www.cranberrycommons.ca
- Contact Name: Cranberry Commons
- Community Address:
#100 – 4272 Albert St
North Burnaby, V5C 2E8
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Additional Comments:
People can become members by simply purchasing a home in the community. There is no selection process, however we ensure that the potential purchaser is well educated about the type of community they will be buying into.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Swingsets & play areas, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Christian, Buddhist, Wiccan, Catholic, Quaker, Sufi, Unitarian Universalist, Paganism or Earth Religions, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, Atheist, Humanist
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US, Canadian Cohousing Network