Ravens’ Roost Cohousing
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
- Last updated: June 28, 2018 (3 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: December 10, 2012
Vision: Our neighborhood is a vibrant, diverse community that plays, lives, and works together to create a sustainable and enriching life.
See our Values and Our Commitments to Each Other under “About Us” on our web site.
Ravens’ Roost Cohousing is Anchorage’s first and only cohousing neighborhood. Phase 1 was completed November 2016 and Phase II was completed in March 2018, bringing the total number of units to 35.
Ravens’ Roost housing community includes a large common house with kitchen, dining room, library, kids’ play room, laundry room and two guest rooms. On the property are also a well-equipped workshop, Ski and bicycle maintenance stations, sewing/craft room, exercise equipment and gardens on 6.2 acres of land. Large portions of the property include native spruce and birch tree forest area and some open lawn areas.
The site is conveniently located in southeast Anchorage with easy access to arterial roads and shopping, yet still nestled in the quiet foothills of the Chugach Mountain Range. The property is 1/2 mile from a variety of shopping, services and restaurant options; and within one mile of public elementary, middle and high schools. There are also a number of private and charter schools nearby. Also nearby are world-class Nordic ski, mountain biking and multi-use trail networks, and a paved bike path that connects to other paths throughout Anchorage, an equestrian center and a small Alpine skiing area.
Much of our membership enjoys the many outdoor activities that Alaska has to offer. The community founders are long-time Anchorage residents and more-recent members hail from across the U.S. and the East Coast.
We currently have 32 member households representing all ages and a very diverse collection of professions and backgrounds. Detailed bios are available on our website. We are actively seeking new members to join us and we welcome inquiries at ravensroostcoho.org.
We currently have two, brand-new, townhouse-style units available for sale and immediate occupancy, plus one additional unit available for re-sale. These are the final opportunities to join the only co-housing development of its kind in Alaska!
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2011
- Start Living Together: 2016
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.ravensroostcoho.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ravens-Roost-Cohousing/183808668402978?ref=hl
- Contact Name: Ravens’ Roost Cohousing
- Phone: 907-399-2051
- Community Address:
9085 Nuthatch Place
Anchorage, Alaska, 99507
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Ravens’ Roost has a Coordinating Team that is responsible for overseeing other Teams who focus on Development, Membership, Marketing, Process, Landscape, Common House, etc.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 1.5
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Community-wide Agreements govern our day-to-day community operations. Decisions are made through a proposal and consensus gathering process, via one Core Team and several specialty working teams. All members contribute time, labor and or expertise to carry out the needs of the community, including community meals, maintenance, and cleaning. The workload varies but averages 4-6 hours/month.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Energy sources: Clean Energy from the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Gym or sports area, Internet, Children’s play room, Sewing & crafts room, 2 Guest rooms
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Christian, Jewish, Protestant, Lutheran, Catholic, Quaker, Unitarian Universalist, Atheist, Agnostic
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Alaska, garden, permaculture, community, neighbors, sustainability, recycling, peaceful, convenient