Seattle, Washington, United States
- Last updated: February 28, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 18, 2004
Duwamish Cohousing (formerly Ciel Cohousing) is an urban cohousing community in West Seattle, about 10 minutes from downtown. We moved into our homes in June 2000. Our neighborhood is primarily made up of fully equipped duplex townhomes owned as condominiums and generous common facilities including large kitchen and dining spaces; two indoor and two outdoor child play areas; a woodshop; a craft studio; a laundry; an office; a sunroom/living room; sunny decks and patios; native plant landscaping; and several community gardens. Our homes line pedestrian pathways and courtyards that are all handicapped accessible. Our 2.7 acres of land are located in a multicultural neighborhood. Some of our values include working cooperatively with our surrounding neighbors, using consensus, resolving conflicts using Restorative Justice, sharing work and social activities, environmental preservation, and building support and neighborliness among ourselves.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1996
- Start Living Together: 2000
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.duwamish.net/
- Contact Name: Duwamish Cohousing
- Community Address:
6000 17th Ave SW #24
Seattle, Washington, 98106
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Additional Comments:
regular participation in committee work plus community work days once a month
monthly assessments paid based primarily on home size
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Mostly Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
small gardens and an orchards
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)