Clanabogan Camphill Community
Co Tyrone BT78 1TJ, N. Ireland, United Kingdom
- Last updated: March 11, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
In this therapeutic life sharing community, adults who have learning disabilities live and work together with co-workers and their children. Co-workers join Clanabogan as volunteers and do not receive wages, their material needs being met from a common fund. In all aspects of life and work, mutual agreement is the basis of a committed and responsible involvement. Camphill Communities are based on Christian principles and are non-denominational, many festivals are celebrated socially and artistically throughout the year. The Community meets for religious and cultural gatherings and people are free to attend a church of their choice or to follow their own conscience.
We have 70 acres in the beautiful rolling countryside of county Tyrone, Ireland, four miles from the town of Omagh. The community began in 1984, and now about 70 people live here in six households, some large, some small.
In this therapeutic community, adults who have difficulties arising from mental and emotional disability live and work together with coworkers and children.
Agriculture and horticulture are very important activities in the community and provide healthy and meaningful work as well as enhancing people’s awareness of the environment, the seasons, and the land on which they live. Food production is done using biodynamic principles.
Coworkers join Clanabogan as volunteers and do not receive wages, their material needs being met from a common fund. In all aspects of life and work, mutual agreement is the basis of a committed and responsible involvement.
This is an attempt to live in a new kind of community life, to include people of many nationalities and people with different problems, strengths, and weaknesses. Most people, whether disadvantaged or not, find that as well as encountering struggles and challenges, they meet interesting and rewarding experiences, learn new skills, grow, and develop.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1984
- Start Living Together: 1984
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.camphillclanabogan.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/camphillclanabogan
- Phone: +44-(0)1662-256111
- Community Address:
15 Drudgeon Rd
Co Tyrone BT78 1TJ, N. Ireland,
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: All or close to all
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Current food produced: From 50-75%
- Shared meals: Rarely
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
Camphill, Social Therapy, intentional community, organic agriculture, biodynamics