Capitol Hill Urban CoHousing
Seattle, Washington, United States
- Last updated: February 28, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: August 26, 2010
We are an urban community bridging generations, aiming to be good neighbors on Capitol Hill. We value sharing and seek health, both for ourselves and our planet. Our Values include:
* Environmental Awareness
* Neighborhood Partnership
* Healthy Individuals
* Healthy Community
We are a very diverse community in an incredibly dense neighborhood in Seattle – Capitol Hill. We have all of our 9 households with children between ages newborn and 13 years old and our adults range from early 30’s to mid-60’s.
We have 9 units on 4500sf lot (smaller than the typical Seattle single family lot). Our property is located 3 blocks from light rail and has great bus access. We built with high Built-Green and LEED guidelines achieving as many high-performance sustainability metrics for energy and water usage as much as was financially feasible both now and planning for future upgrades.
We broke ground in late October, 2014 and took occupancy in March, 2016. Please note we are a unique hybrid model. All members pay $30,000 to join our LLC. The members built the apartment building and we are self-managed. We will pay market rate rents which will be kept artificially as stable as possible, rather than increasing with the market. This is intended to entice longevity. We are currently developing a vesting system.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2010
- Start Living Together: 2016
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.capitolhillurbancohousing.org
- Business, Project, or Organization: https://www.facebook.com/therooftopfarm/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CapitolHillUrbanCohousing
- Other social: https://www.flickr.com/groups/chuc_construction/
- Contact Name: Sheila Hoffman
- Community Address:
1722 12th Avenue #101
Seattle, Washington, 98122
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Additional Comments:
$30,000 buys into LLC. we are a rental community
$40/month membership plus market-rate rate monthly.
required hours are yet to be determined
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Large Scale Kitchen, Internet, guest room, laundry, outdoor spaces
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Mostly Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We have a permaculture farm on roof that is farmed commercially for local restaurants. There’s a small plot where the kids will learn about their food.
Meals accommodate paleo,vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and medical food allergies.
Our intention is to eat 3 meals a week together, but as we write, we haven’t yet moved in!
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Christian, Buddhist, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property, Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Seattle, urban, cohousing, dense, Capitol Hill, multi-generational, diverse, sustainable