Camphill Village Minnesota
Sauk Centre, Minnesota, United States
- Last updated: August 28, 2018 (3 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
The mission of Camphill Village Minnesota is to create and sustain a community where people with and without disabilities live, work and care for each other to foster social, spiritual, cultural and agricultural renewal.
Camphill is located on a 500-acre biodynamic farm ten miles north of Sauk Centre in Central Minnesota. People live together family-style in seven different homes. Everyone shares in the responsibilities of life in the community.
The Village has a strong agricultural component made up of organic farming and gardening. Craft work includes weaving, wood working, ceramics, and card-making, as well as a bakery that provides for the needs of the Village and sells in the surrounding area.
Life in the Village revolves around the cycles of nature, with festivals marking the changing seasons. Plays, concerts, lectures and continuing education add depth and color to the fabric of the community.
Camphill Village Minnesota is part of a worldwide movement that was begun in Scotland by Dr. Karl König just before World War II. The work of Camphill is based on the teachings of Rudolf Steiner, the Austrian scientist, philosopher and educator who also inspired Waldorf education.
Community members join us from all over the world every year. We welcome individuals, couples and families in whatever form they may come. Some stay for a year or two for a unique experience and some make CVM their permanent home.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1980
- Start Living Together: 1980
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.camphillmn.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/camphillmn
- Other social: http://www.instagram.com/camphillmn
- Contact Name: Kristin Wilson
- Phone: 320-732-6365
- Community Address:
15136 Celtic Dr
Sauk Centre, Minnesota, 56378-9231
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything)
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Organization, Resource, or Network, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Camphill Village Minnesota offers a unique opportunity for community members to live a rich life without having to work for wages outisde of the community. A few forms of compensation are available to all community members:
Housing: Provided by the community. Daily farm fresh meals also provided.
Spending money: Base – $200 / month stipend
Benefits: Health insurance, room and board, vehicle access (gas and insurance included), and three weeks paid vacation per year
There is a needs-based fiscal conversation upon acceptance to make sure financial dependencies are being met. This includes a conversation about student debt payment plans.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Energy sources: Solar, Geothermal
- Current food produced: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: No, it is slow.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Mostly Vegan, Raw or Mostly Raw, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We do eat meals together and we also bond over food. If anyone has a dietary requirement, we make sure they are fed with nutritional and tasty meals within those limitations.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Christian
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Partial, Special, or Limited Community Plan
- Additional Comments:
If you would like to hear from an alumni, contact Lindsey at [email protected] She is happy to share her experience with anyone who is interested in CVM and wants to learn more.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Camphill Association of North America (CANA)
Camphill Village, Newton Dee, Camphill Village USA, Inc., Camphill Village Minnesota, Inc., Camphill Village Kimberton Hills, Camphill Special School, Camphill Soltane, Camphill Communities in Britain and Ireland, Association of, Camphill Communities California
camphill, biodynamics, social therapy, agriculture