8thLife Panama EcoVillage / Collaborative Work-Life Initiative
- Last updated: August 6, 2017 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: August 6, 2017
We promote the values and ideals of community, respect, peace, and living an “on-purpose” life and help these to be rediscovered by people who decide to join us. The Eco-Community will provide a socio-cultural support structure as well as a healthy atmosphere for living and working. For community members, fair work, cooperation, and an abundance mentality replace the materialism, competition and scarcity mentality prevalent in today’s world.
The 8thLife Panama EcoVillage / Collaborative Work-Life Initiative is forming an intentional community to provide a social support structure and a low impact lifestyle for its members, residents, and volunteers. To achieve this we are integrating aspects of ecological design, permaculture, ecological construction, green production, alternative energies, community building practices, among others.
The Initiative has two physical components, Astoria Guest House – the operations center, & The Finca – 21Ha of land for developing the Eco-Community. We envision the initiative incorporating a number of elements such as:
*intentional community eco-village based on integral permaculture design principles (on The Finca)
*eco-enterprise incubator, shared workspace for eco-community members & volunteers (at Astoria Guest House)
*artisan & craftspeople’s incubator, shared workspace, & storefront for eco-community members and local residents
*promoting and strengthening the local economy of Las Guabas Arriba and Anton through example
*training/workshops in eco-economics, the circular economy, ‘buy local’, and local economic development
*community gardens and local produce and artisan markets
*permaculture courses and other practical, hands-on learning experiences such as eco-building
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2012
- Start Living Together: 2017
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://8thLifePanama.org
- Contact Name: Rebecca
- Community Address:
Avenida Tercera, Edificio Villa Astoria
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, Organization, Resource, or Network
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Distributed leadership & Meritocracy,
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Each person here is expected to take a leadership roles in some area, and to be proactive in making sure that whatever needs to happen gets done. At the same time, we all are also expected to ask for help whenever we need it and to take decisions together in the most rational way possible, always having Integral Permaculture as the common basis.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
We expect everyone to contribute to the living expenses from their EcoBusinesses, and expect to be on equal footing by all of us having invested in the land with shares, so we can have as equal responsibilities as possible instead of having some people parenting the others.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Planned food produced: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Waterfront access, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Raw or Mostly Raw, Kosher, Halal, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, We aim to craft a healthy human diet from what this land can offer us sustainably, and also learn how to make edible and palatable whatever is abundant locally
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), We are happy to embrace different spiritual beliefs as long as these promote peace, tolerance of differences, and help us to leave the world a better place.
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Integral Permaculture Academy, EcoEscuelas Network
8th Life EcoVillage Project, La Palma, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
EcoVillage, Permaculture, Integral Permaculture, Social Permaculture, Activism, CoCounseling, RC,