The FIC is a proud co-sponsor of the 2019 National Cohousing Conference, hosted by the Cohousing Association of the US. We’ll be providing workshops and running a conference Bookstore. Hope to see you there!
Learn how living in community can be healthier by combating loneliness. Whether you’re just starting to explore living in cohousing or have been for decades, this conference offers something for you. Courtney Martin author of The New Better Off: Reinventing the American Dream explores how people are redefining the American dream (think more fulfillment, community, and fun, less debt, status, and stuff). She draws from her personal experience living in cohousing with her family.
What to look forward to:
• Cohousing Bus Tours & Open Houses
• 2-days of Pre-Conference Intensives
• Multiple Tracks of sessions: Build It – Live It – Sustain It
• Facilitated Discussions
• Networking Opportunities
Build It Track – New & Forming Communities
- If you’re new to cohousing, just forming a group or starting to build, the Build It track is for you. Learn what’s involved, how to attract members, how to work with the professionals around financing, design and development.
Live It Track – Currently Living in Cohousing
- If you already live in cohousing you may want to learn how others are doing things like meal programs, decision making, conflict resolution and reserve funds, etc.
Sustain It Track – For Mature Communities
- If you’ve lived in cohousing for ten or more years you may be experiencing challenges unique to your maturity such as burnout, apathy, refilling vacancies, etc that new groups aren’t yet facing.
Cohousing Communities of Ann Arbor, MI featured in newest episode of Planet Community!
Cohousing communities are intentional, collaborative neighborhoods created with a little ingenuity. They bring together the value of private homes with the benefits of more sustainable living. That means residents actively participate in the design and operation of their neighborhoods, and share common facilities and good connections with neighbors. All in all, they stand as innovative and sustainable answers to today’s environmental and social problems. In this episode of Planet Community, travel to Ann Arbor, MI where three adjacent cohousing communities have formed over the last 20 years, home to over 300 people.