Shutesbury, Massachusetts, United States
- Last updated: May 24, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
A non-profit educational organization offering sustainable living programs for the public, and a spiritual community demonstrating attunement to nature and ecologically based lifestyles.
Sirius is a demonstration center of spiritual principles based on respect for the individual and cooperation with nature, seeing the divinity in all life. We are committed to living our lives with spiritual integrity recognizing that we are all in a process of growth with every experience in our life offering valuable lessons. We honor the highest truths common to all religions, and our unity in diversity is a source of inspiration for visitors and members. Meditation and attunement are central to our life together.
Sirius also demonstrates ecological ways of living, including organic food production, solar and environmentally friendly building practices, and electrical generation using solar, wind, and vegetable oil. We recycle waste materials, build and use composting toilets, collect and filter used vegetable oil for operating our vegetable-oil burning cars and trucks, and choose to live less polluting, less consumptive lifestyles. Healing of the planet is of primary importance to us, and we are members of the Global Ecovillage Network.
As a nonprofit educational corporation, Sirius offers workshops and seminars and hosts programs for the public. Day and overnight visitors are also welcome; please call to make arrangements.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1978
- Start Living Together: 1979
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.siriuscommunity.org
- Phone: 413-259-1251
- Community Address:
72 Baker Rd
Shutesbury, Massachusetts, 01072-9703
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Spirtual based consensus
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
consensus of general membership & consensus of core group on purpose & direction, membership & finances
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Additional Comments:
Members are responsible for own finances. Some community jobs are available.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar, Wind, Clean Energy from the Grid
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Most dinners and lunches available for those who choose to participate.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs)
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling