Ashland, Oregon, United States
- Last updated: March 1, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 1, 2007
We are a model of possibility, working toward sustainable living, spiritual growth, and living in harmony with nature.
Our lifestyle does NOT include TV, radio, newspapers, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine. We are married or celibate.
We eat organic food, drink fresh spring water, breath clean air, enjoy kind people, board games, great hiking, hard work, living in a park, music and an occasional movie.
Our land is verdant and lush, with forest and meadows and springs and a river. Our climate is mild.
We are happy, fun-loving, and positive people who want to share our community with like-minded people who love to work and grow with others.
We welcome those interested in living a simple spiritual oriented vegan life in the forest.
For additional information go to our website at www.eloinforest.org
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1974
- Start Living Together: 1975
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.eloinforest.org
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://www.eoih’svoice.org
- Contact Name: Anne apRoberts
- Phone: 541-621-4250
- Community Address:
PO Box 446
Ashland, Oregon, 97520
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Organization, Resource, or Network
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $300
- Shared Income: All or close to all
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 1
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
We work together to make it all work. We all do that must be done and do not keep track of hours.
We have a probationary period of 9 months when we ask that the potential members contribute as they can to food and supplies. After becoming member we share all we have.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Energy sources: Solar, Hydro-Electric
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: 100%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Waterfront access, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Raw or Mostly Raw, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Yes – we all share a common diet.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
We do encourage the use of medical drugs, except in emergencies. We ask that people use natural, alternative medicines when possible. We encourage people to have the opinion of natural practitioners and medical practitioners when dealing with serious health issues.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
- Additional Comments:
We are partial to mellow music with uplifting messages, uplifting books and movies. We do not read the local newspapers or listen to radio or watch TV. We check on global news periodically.
Our ideal is to attune to the natural world as much as possible and spend as little time as possible in cyberspace.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Vegan, Spiritual, Wilderness, Sustainable, Communal