CoHousing Houston, Houston, TX
Houston, Texas, United States
- Last updated: September 28, 2017 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: March 10, 2016
We don’t have one yet. But it will have all the attributes of cohousing and include something about a practice of silence of some kind even if its staring at the wonder of trees.
We are a group of people interested in developing the first ever cohousing community in Houston, one of the most wonderfully diverse and dynamic cities in the country. To help make this happen, in November, 2017 Katie McCamant and husband Chuck Durrett of CoHousingSolutions and McCamant and Durrett Architects will come to Houston to put on their “Getting it Built” workshop. See our website, www.cohousinghouston.com, for details. The Friday even before the weekend of the workshop, Katie and Chuck will talk to Houston about cohousing. The talks will be held at the Asia Society Texas Center, a beautiful and exciting venue. Again, see our website for details.
CoHousing Houston is one of several groups who are planning on building cohousing in Texas. Visit the cohousing directory for details. (http://www.cohousing.org/directory)
Finally, visit us the Black Lab in the Montrose neighborhood of Houston each first Wednesday of each month to learn more about our group.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2017
- Start Living Together: 2020
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.cohousinghouston.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cohousinghouston/
- Contact Name: Tom King and Kathy Kokas
- Phone: 713 213-0864
- Mailing Address:
2429 Bissonnet, #44
Houston, Texas, 77005
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: we haven\\\\\\\’t figured this out yet
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Energy sources: haven\\\\\\\’t figured this out yet
- Common Facilities: will get all this figured out once we get enough people behind us to form a group
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Dietary Practice: wide open
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We like alcohol but are not fond of tobacco although an occasional cigar (1/3 years) is kinda fun.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Only in the sense that we think the practice of meditation or silence can heal.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
World Community of Christian Meditation
community, silence, wonder, inter-generational