The Phoenix Cooperative House
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
- Last updated: January 14, 2019 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: October 14, 2004
Egalitarian Social Living
Phoenix uses a modified consensus decision-making process – everyone’s voice is heard, and decisions are made democratically. We look for committed members who have a serious interest in living cooperatively as well as a desire to contribute your experience and energy to the house, even if you are just staying for the summer.
We proudly stand behind MCC’s mission of creating a healthy and safe space for every member, regardless of their background or identity. Our goal as a cooperative house is to create a sustainable and empowering community for all who want to partake in it, as well as offering low-income housing to Madison as a whole.
*Unfortunately, Phoenix is not wheelchair accessible.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1996
- Start Living Together: 1996
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://madisoncommunity.coop/
- Contact Name: membership coordinator
- Phone: 608-251-2667
- Mailing Address:
636 Langdon St
Madison, Wisconsin, 53703-1104
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Student Housing or Student Co-Op
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used often.
- Additional Diet Comments:
dinner is served mon-thu with brunch and dinner served on sunday
While we are not a
smoking only allowed in member’s rooms or outside
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Madison Community Cooperatives, North American Students of Cooperation
International Cooperative House (ICH), Ambrosia Cooperative House, Audre Lorde Cooperative House, Friends’ Cooperative House, Hypatia Cooperative House, Lothlórien Cooperative House, Ofek Shalom Cooperative House, Syntropy Cooperative House, Sofia Cooperative House, Avalon Cooperative House, Madison Community Cooperative (MCC)