Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
- Last updated: November 20, 2016 (6 months ago)
- Listing created on: January 19, 2005
Takoma Village Cohousing is an urban community that fosters mutual support and cooperation while respecting privacy.
We welcome diversity, encourage ecologically responsible living, and value active participation in the larger world.
We have forty-three attached condominium units that include flats, duplexes, and townhouses, plus the common house. Units range from one bedroom with a den to four bedrooms with a full basement. The common house includes two guest rooms, children’s room, game room, office, living room, laundry room, exercise room, dining room, large kitchen, and workshop.
We are located one and a half blocks from the Takoma Metro Station (the Red Line) and within easy walking distance of shopping and restaurants on Georgia Avenue in DC and in Old Town Takoma Park in Maryland. Most residents commute by public transportation or bicycle. Many work at home full or part time. On the Metro, we are 5 minutes from Union Station, 15 minutes from the center of the Mall, and 5 minutes from Silver Spring.
Residents range in age from just born to 90 and are well distributed across that range.
We have many energy-efficient systems and green materials. All units received the Energy Star rating. All have ground-source geothermal heating and cooling. We installed solar panels in 2015 that serve all common electrical uses and give back energy to the grid.
We maintain a notification list and occasionally have units for sale. We rarely have rooms for rent. Sales are at market rate. If you are interested in living in or visiting our community, please contact us. We are always delighted to meet new friends.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1998
- Start Living Together: 2000
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.takomavillage.org/
- Contact Name: Takoma Village Cohousing
- Phone: (202) 537-9113
- Community Address:
6827 4th St NW
Washington, District of Columbia, 20012-1945
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
We have a board of directors. In emergencies, the executive committee has permission to act unilaterally. All team and board decisions must be posted in minutes or on email for objections. The full membership is the ultimate decision-maker.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
There is no fee for joining but ownership, or living with an owner, is required. There are monthly homeowner association fees which include social and maintenance costs.
Six hours a month of labor is expected but there is no tracking. Many do much more.
Personal debt is not an issue if a potential owner can pass financing requirements for home purchase.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Energy sources: Solar, Geothermal
- Planned renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Swingsets & play areas, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We do have herb and vegetable gardens that individuals maintain for themselves and for the community.
Smoking is allowed outside but not inside common areas.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Community meals follow accepted “healthy” food guidelines.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Washington DC, Urban, Cohousing, multi-generational, condominium