Freeland, Maryland, United States
- Last updated: February 23, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 22, 2005
sustainable cooperative living
The adults and children of Heathcote Community strive to live in a healthy, loving, and sustainable manner. We are located on 42 acres of wooded valley which is part of the School of Living community land trust. We believe that we have a responsibility to care for the land and each other, treating both with dignity and respect.
In community we support one another in living a life that we love. We don’t currently have community businesses, so each member earns income individually and makes monthly contributions. We get together for evening meals most nights, weekly community meetings, regular meetings about relationship issues, monthly community work projects, and quarterly retreats. Many of us often gather for meditation, yoga, sing-alongs, celebrations, spiritual retreats, dances, world music drumming, and other events. All community decisions are made by consensus.
We strive to practice ever-more-sustainable ways of living. Our current projects focus on creating a living demonstration of permaculture principles and ecological sustainability, including the expansion of our organic gardens and the renovation of existing structures. We recently built an alternative, energy-efficient house with individual and family units, and renovating our 150-year-old grist mill to improve our shared spaces and conference center.
We welcome inquiries from people who share our passion for creating a better world, and hope to see you at one of our monthly visitor days.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1965
- Start Living Together: 1965
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.heathcote.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeathcoteCommunity
- Contact Name: Heathcote Community
- Phone: 4434913383
- Community Address:
21300 Heathcote Rd
Freeland, Maryland, 21053-9601
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Join Fee: $13000
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 9
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
About 9 hours per week
$50 membership fee, approximate 13,000 one time fee (can be paid over 10 years).
Pledge system for dues, plus separate food payment
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Clean Energy from the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Hot tub or hot springs, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Internet, Meeting/ gathering room
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Common kitchen is vegetarian with no fish. People may eat as they choose in private areas. Very adaptable to vegan and gluten free diets.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs)
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), School of Living
Permaculature, education, farming, internship, gardening