Eighteenth Ave Peace House
Portland, Oregon, United States
- Last updated: January 3, 2019 (3 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: July 2, 2011
Every morning we gather for community prayer and Bible study, and every evening we share a common meal. Visitors are encouraged to join us for these activities, although in the case of supper we ask people to call us ahead of time.
In 2011 we celebrated our 25th anniversary. Four of the original founding members of the household are still here after these many years.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1985
- Start Living Together: 1986
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://thepeacehouse.org
- Contact Name: John T. Schwiebert
- Phone: 503 281-3697
- Community Address:
2116 NE 18th Ave
Portland, Oregon, 97212
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Library, Hot tub or hot springs, Large Scale Kitchen, Swingsets & play areas, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Christian, Quaker
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: Yes
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Active in recovery from addictions
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Oregon-Idaho Conference of the United Methodist Church
Income-sharing; Ecumenical Christian, Peacemaking, Hospitality