Cascadia Commons Cohousing Community
Portland, Oregon, United States
- Last updated: October 15, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Sharing, caring community; Living in community can be a little like living in a rock tumbler. We all have rough edges that could use smoothing. It helps to be able to experience misunderstandings and disagreements as opportunities to grow. Cohousing to us means community: child-friendly, elder-friendly, sociable living; cooperative interaction; a chance to make long-term personal connections with neighbors who share many of your values. In many ways we’re like an extended family more than a neighborhood.
Cascadia Commons Cohousing is a community of 26 homes and a common house located in a pleasant suburb six miles southwest of the center of Portland, Oregon. We were self-developed over the period beginning with our incorporation as an LLC in 1995 (after a couple of years as a talking group). Construction was completed in 2001. We continue to develop as an “second-generation” community.
We occupy 2.9 acres of land, of which approximately half is legally designated wetlands and wetlands buffer that is required to be maintained in a natural state. Our homes are a mix of renovated townhouses, and newly constructed flats and townhouses. We are a quarter of a mile from good bus service to the center of Portland, a 35-minute ride. It takes about 10-15 minutes by car.
Our current residents range in age from one to 82. We are a mix of singles, single moms, couples, and families. We are ecumenical as to religion, or lack thereof, philosophy, sexual orientation, dietary preferences, and, at least in principle, politics. We share green values of caring for the earth and its creatures.
We are egalitarian in our governance, using consensus decision making, with provision for breaking impasses, as required by Oregon’s condominium law.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1992
- Start Living Together: 2000
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.cascadiacommons.com/
- Contact Name: Cascadia Commons
- Phone: 503-650-7169
- Community Address:
4377 SW 94th Ave
Portland, Oregon, 97225
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
We have some leadership roles in committees
Only by the willingness and capacity of some to do more work than others.
With legally required provision to break impasses
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Screening of finances is by lenders for individual mortgages
We have a nominal minimum of work/labor of 3 hours per month ( monthly work party) , and required presence at monthly HOA meetings. We also require members to be on one of the organizational committees.
The costs of becoming a resident/owner are all that is required.
Regular Home Owners Association dues are prescribed for each home.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Workshop, Hot tub or hot springs, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, We offer a choice
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
About half of adults participate regularly
Organic community gardens and fruit trees
We try to use organic food when available. We try to provide options to meet individual restrictions
Vegetarian options always available
No smoking or drugs In common house, discouraged on grounds, optional in individual homes, but there are no members who are regular smokers.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Quaker, Sufi, Unitarian Universalist, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, only on individual basis
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
- Additional Comments:
Some people hike or bike or kayak together. As a community we leave health care to the individuals.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US
PDX Cohousing group- Portland quarterly gatherings of many cooperative housing groups. With Google list and facebook page.
community: sociable living; cooperative interactions; caring for the Earth.