Camphill Village Kimberton Hills
Kimberton, Pennsylvania, United States
- Last updated: February 29, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 27, 2005
To create and maintain a land-based community together with adults with special needs. biodynamic agriculture, handcrafts and other educational endeavors.
Started in 1972, our 432-acre agricultural and crafts community is run by 90 members, including some with developmental disabilities (autism, Down’s syndrome, fragile X, and others). We have 12 houses that shelter “extended families” who work in the dairy, CSA garden, herb garden, orchard, bakery, fiber workshop, music workshop, pottery, and cafe. We have a strong cultural life that integrates art and music into our lives. Volunteers are welcome to share in our life and work for a year, or perhaps a lifetime. Our community sponsors an apprenticeship program in biodynamic agriculture, and training in fabric arts.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1972
- Start Living Together: 1972
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.camphillkimberton.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CamphillVillageKimbertonHills?ref=br_tf
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CVKH
- Other social: http://www.camphillkimberton.org/blog-new/
- Contact Name: Craig Brown
- Phone: 610-935-3963
- Community Address:
PO Box 1045
1601 Pughtown Rd.
Kimberton, Pennsylvania, 19442
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Community income is shared.
members share work to sustain community life
- Energy sources: Solar
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms)
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Camphill Association of North America (CANA)
Camphill Village, Newton Dee, Camphill Village USA, Inc., Camphill Village Minnesota, Inc., Camphill Village Kimberton Hills, Camphill Special School, Camphill Soltane, Camphill Community Dingle, Camphill Communities in Britain and Ireland, Association of, Camphill Communities California, HeARTbeat Collective
environment, elder care, organic, farming, volunteer, bio-dynamic, CSA, crafts