Assistant to Adults with Intellectual Disabilities at L’Arche
- Jobs + Opportunities
- Portland, OR
At L’Arche Portland, people with and without intellectual disabilities are transformed by working together to create home, share life, and build community. Those with intellectual disabilities form the heart of our community and invite others into relationships of mutuality. We give and receive compassionate care and friendship as a community that fosters a deeper experience of being human.
We welcome people of all backgrounds in their journeys of faith and conscience to find connection and belonging.
L’Arche Assistants work with the other Assistants and the Community Leadership Team to create and support community life in our homes. A Live-In Assistant must feel called to share life in our homes and build intentional community. This position requires a mature individual able to maintain confidentiality while dealing with a variety of personalities and the tensions and conflicts that result.
L’Arche Assistants must learn to develop competence in a wide range of areas including interpersonal relations, household planning, and personal time management. This position requires a commitment to live out the mission of L’Arche Portland and a call to live with people with disabilities.
Guided by Charter of L’Arche and the mission of L’Arche Portland, L’Arche Assistants work cooperatively with the other L’Arche Assistants to create community, to support the growth and well being of each member of the community, and to share responsibility for management of the home.
• Work cooperatively with the other L’Arche Assistants to create community and support the growth and wellbeing of each member of the home
• Assist our core members (adults with intellectual disabilities) with basic needs: hygiene, health, finances, recreation, personal and spiritual growth
• Share household responsibilities including cooking, maintenance of house and yard, upkeep of community vehicles, transportation for core members, record keeping
• Help plan celebrations, leisure activities, trips, prayer, community nights, retreats, one-on-one outings with core members
• Welcome guests and visitors into the home
• Attend weekly community night and regularly scheduled meetings
• Develop supportive relationships with friends and families of core members, and professional human service workers (case workers, health care providers, etc.)
L’Arche Assistants are accountable to the Community Leadership Team.
• At least 21 years old
• Ability to communicate clearly and work cooperatively
• Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
• Current driver’s license
• Criminal record check (completed as part of the application process)
• Multnomah County DD Qualifying Test (completed as part of the application process)
• Current Basic First Aid and Adult CPR certification (completed as part of the application process)
• Live in the home, with 2 consecutive days away each week
• Salary – $32,110 (45hrs/week; Live-In Assistants pay $599/month for Room & Board)
• Medical & Dental Insurance
• Formation – Weekly formation gatherings & L’Arche USA formation opportunities
• Paid Time Off (128 hours) & Retreat (40 hours)
• IRA – 5% contribution after two-years employment with L’Arche Portland
Please contact our office for an application: [email protected] | (503) 251-6901
Direct Support Professional | Caregiver | Caregiving | Intentional Community | DEI | Diversity | Equity | Inclusion | Advocacy | In Home Caregiver | We Provide Training | DSP | Direct Care | Full Time | Part Time | Live In | Resident Assistant | Supported Living