A RARE opportunity to rent at Swan’s Market Cohousing, Oakland CA
- Housing For Rent + Shared
- SF Bay Area, California
A beautiful two-story condo in the highly sought after Swan’s Market Cohousing 20-unit Cohousing Community, is available for rent beginning November 1. It is has just been fully painted, carpeted and will be unfurnished.
I am seeking a renter who will be a great neighbor and active member of this high-functioning community. For renters who are interested in being owners, living here is a great way to be well-situated to buy a unit when it comes up. A previous renter had an opportunity to purchase a unit when a neighbor moved.
About the unit:
- Centrally located in historic downtown Oakland
- Two bedrooms / One and a Half Baths
- 975 Sq Feet of Living Space
- “Townhouse Style” Unit with Living Space on Two Levels
- Both Bedrooms with lofted ceilings, original clerestory windows and Full Bath on Upper Level
- Newly carpeted staircase and upstairs, original and painted concrete floors on main level
- Large and High Ceiling Living Room with SkyLights
- Spacious Tiled Kitchen with Pantry
- Dining Area with Windows to Patio
- Half Bath on Main Level
- Radiant heat throughout. Ceiling fan
- Extremely well insulated as is positioned between two other units
- No pets
- Dedicated, Onsite and Secure Indoor Parking Space
- Rent ($3400/mo) includes almost all utilities: garbage/recycling/compost, water, indoor parking space, high-speed DSL, use of the guest room and all amenities on site. Electricity is the only utility not included which has averaged $35/mo. depending on usage. Common meals and laundry are billed directly to the resident.
About the community:
Swan’s Market Cohousing is a small, gated community, off the street and quiet. It is an urban Cohousing community with 20 units and about 32 residents ranging in age from a newborn to 80+. We are located in the preserved and retrofitted historic 1917 Swan’s Market building in the historic Old Oakland neighborhood. All the traditional components of Cohousing are active here including common meals 3x/week, monthly work parties, and neighbors helping neighbors. Participation and engagement in the community is high. People share food, tools, time, friendship, resources, and skills.
Located on 9th and Clay, it is 2 blocks from BART, has a Walkability Score of 95/100, just about every service you can imagine within a few blocks including a grocery store, and Farmers Market sets up in the street out front on Fridays. Though urban, the outdoor space, or “Swan’s Way” central corridor is generously planted with an array of fruit trees, vegetables, and artful patio gardens.
Community amenities include common house with commercial kitchen, kids play room, workout room, laundry room, workshop, community garden, guest room, solar panels, and large patio for dining/entertaining.
Who you are…
I am looking for someone or a family who will be great community member(s). Trustworthy, a good neighbor, friendly, and who will participate in cohousing activities including weekly common meals (optional to eat, expected to cook once every 5-6 weeks), monthly work parties, and participation in at least one committee. In exchange, you’ll discover a European-like mini-village that will feel like a quaint and peaceful retreat to come home to every day right in the middle of downtown Oakland!
If you are interested, please email [email protected] a paragraph about your household, where you are currently living and what draws you to Cohousing/Swan’s Market Cohousing.