Middle Road Community, The
- Last updated: February 28, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 22, 2005
a safe and conscious environment for families, learning how to make community decisions together, beautiful setting
The common land includes forested areas, streams, a two-and-a-half acre fenced area containing organic gardens and a small orchard, horse pasture, a playing field, a chicken coop, a root cellar, and a large community fire pit. The Common House, a converted hay barn, is at the heart of the community–-consisting of a large kitchen and dining area, a games area, a quiet room, an activity room, a ping-pong room, an exercise/weight room, a guest room, and bathrooms. The wood floors, fireplaces, and magnificent views make it a cozy and welcoming place. In warm weather, the large deck extending into the garden is popular. There are hikes up into the surrounding mountains, and a public beach is just a short drive (or reasonable walk) away.
Regular meetings are held once a month, with a summer break. Community decisions are made by consensus. The community is currently at capacity. We have no formal visitor or internship program.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1994
- Start Living Together: 1995
- Visitors accepted: No
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.cohousing.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Middle%20Road%20Info%20Brochure%20January%202012.pdf
- Contact Name: Middle Road Community, The
- Community Address:
3180 The Middle Rd
Nelson, V1L 6M3
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $100.00
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
The labor expectation is in relation to things like sharing in the cleaning and maintenance of the common house, work parties on the land, and that sort of thing. There is no set hourly time requirement, and the inclusion of “1 hour” above is simply to illustrate that the time commitment is not substantial.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Energy sources: Hydro-Electric, Biofuel
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Outbuilding(s), Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, chicken coop, horse pasture
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Catholic, Sufi, Humanist
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual