Arlington, Virginia, United States
- Last updated: February 15, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: April 21, 2005
Integrating community with the larger world; creating change *in* people that leads to critical social change.
Chrysalis is committed to building a sustainable, violence-free culture through intimacy, compassion, radical honesty, freedom of choice in intimate relationships, ecological sensitivity, transparency, and the power of community. Social change and personal transformation are central to our vision.
Chrysalis has two houses side-by-side in a wooded setting about 10 minutes’ drive from Washington, DC. The houses can handle eight to ten permanent residents comfortably, with plenty of room for each person to have both personal space and an office or studio if they wish. The common rooms can accommodate up to 50 people for events. The houses front on a large park, with miles of bike and hiking trails and unspoiled nature. Music is an important part of life at Chrysalis.At Chrysalis, each person is empowered to take initiative and create their own projects, healing the society while building a supportive web of intimate relationships that nurture inner transformation. We use many techniques, including sacred touch, non-violent communication, being in the moment, and more. Our goal is to love the world through loving oneself.
Chrysalis encourages members to follow their own vision in the context of a creative, supportive community; we find the ongoing cross-pollination of ideas, talents, and energy takes us to a higher and more productive level. Resident non-members and non-residents are also an important part of Chrysalis; we see our community as part of a much larger network.
We are especially looking for people who want to explore their own limits, both personally and productively, who like to be synergized by being around other creative and effective people, and who would enjoy living in an environment that is both challenging and supportive, that invites you to grow while affirming who and what you are.
We actively welcome people who are not members to live with us; we value the unique contribution each person has to make. We are less focused on long-term commitments, and more interested in the energy and ideas that our housemates have to offer in the present. We welcome those who would like to work and play and learn with us, whether it be “for a day or a decade.”
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2002
- Start Living Together: 2002
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.chrysalis-va.org
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://cfnc.us
- Contact Name: Michael Rios
- Phone: 703-755-0607
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, Organization, Resource, or Network
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Responsible Anarchy
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Leadership is a function, not an identity.
The core is not a closed group; it is mostly reflective of who is putting in significant effort.
Decision making is primarily “responsible anarchy”. Each person has substantial authority to make their own decisions, with due consideration to the rights and
needs of others.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 2
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Members may contribute work or money or a mixture
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Mostly Vegan, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Raw or Mostly Raw, Kosher, Halal, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Support and respect for all dietary choices. Sustainable eating choices are valued in particular.
Frequent alcohol usage would not be compatible with our values. Not a rigid prohibition, but not part of our culture. We require that residents not keep or consume alcohol on the premises.
Smoking is not allowed.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Network for a New Culture, Allegheny Crest Intentional Village
social change,personal growth,diversity,responsible anarchy,ecological,radical acceptance,secular