Points Beyond Cottages
Silverton, Oregon, United States
- Last updated: November 13, 2017 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: November 7, 2017
Our values include; sustainability, diversity, multi-generational members, eco-friendliness, peace and social justice.
In 2013 a group of households came together for a potluck in Silverton, Oregon. Our purpose was to enjoy the great feast that we produced from our individual homes and to also talk about an idea that had surfaced for several of us; intentional community. That was the beginning of Points Beyond. Since that time we have incorporated as an LLC, located and purchased a beautiful piece of land, and obtained preliminary approval from the City of Silverton for our project (including the necessary rezoning).
One of our associate members suggested the name “Points Beyond” which likely needs an explanation. Think of when you are traveling by train or bus and the next station is announced. Sometimes the message is the name of a location with the trailer, “…and points beyond”. There is always that other, further, often intriguing place to come and a sense of disappointment if you have to disembark before getting there. For those of us who are joining together to make this new home, it will be our “points beyond”; a place that is new and exciting where we have not been before and where we can explore a different way to adventure together.
Points Beyond will be an intentional community of private homes clustered around shared space. Each single family home has traditional amenities, including a private kitchen and small yard area. Our shared spaces will feature a common house, which includes a large kitchen and dining area, laundry, and recreational spaces. We will also have a workshop with added guest quarters, and carports/garages with personal storage at both ends of the property. Shared outdoor space includes parking, walkways, open space, and gardens. Community members also share resources like tools, books, and recreational equipment. Households have independent incomes and private lives, but neighbors collaboratively plan and manage community activities and shared spaces.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2014
- Start Living Together: 2018
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.pointsbeyondcottages.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=points%20beyond
- Community Address:
Corner of Reserve and Steelhammer Streets
Silverton, Oregon, 97381
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Small Town or Village
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
While our LLC does have officers, we do not identify any leader(s) other than those functions.
- Join Fee: $41000.00
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
When we apply for our construction loan, all members will have to qualify with the bank in terms of credit score and income. Once we occupy the homes we will be adding a monthly HOA payment.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Outdoor Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Internet
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We have decided not to allow tobacco use on our property but are still considering the use of marijuana.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Christian, Buddhist, Protestant, Catholic, Quaker, Atheist
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
gardening, social justice, pedestrian focus, diverse, multi-generational, non-violent