Best of Communities Magazine
Communities magazine is the leading publication for all topics related to intentional community. From the broad-stroked overviews to the intimate details, this quarterly publication covers it all. With so much content to explore, we’ve distilled it into a single compilation!
Volume VIII – Children in Community
Do children thrive in community? Many believe not only do they thrive, but so do their parents who have a wider and more accessible support network. Children gain more adults as role models as well as instant playmates. They may have intriguing facilities and landscapes to explore without taking a car ride to get there, and considerable options for education.
The following 22 articles will help you understand the benefits and challenges to raising children in community, as well as the myriad of learning options for children in this unique environment.
You will recognize authors leading the intentional community movement, representing cutting-edge thinking and how-to explorations of the social, ecological, and economic aspects of sustainable living.
Volume VIII includes the following articles:
- Children in Community: Fairyland or Fairy Tale? by Daniel Greenberg, Directory 2000
- Raising and Educating Children in Community by Diana Leafe Christian, Directory 1995
- Multiple Parenting in Community: The Advantages by Daniel Greenberg, #86
- Multiple Parenting in Community: The Disadvantages by Daniel Greenberg, #87
- Child-Adult Friendships, Part I by Daniel Greenberg, #90
- Child-Adult Friendships, Part II by Daniel Greenberg
- Keeping Our Children Safe by Daniel Greenberg, #107
- My Tribal Childhood by Kristina Jansen, #114
- Growing Up in the Miccosukee Land Co-op by Orenda Lyons, #86
- The Person I Became by Simona Gabriel, #84
- Who’s the Meta Tonight? Communal Child Rearing at Twin Oaks by Hilke Kuhlmann interviewing Lee Ann Kinkade, #103
- Family Dramas by Laird Schaub, Ina Meyer-Stoll, #146
- Parenting in Community:The Voyage from Fantasy to Reality by Jesika Feather, #146
- When an Ecovillage Is Raising Your Child by Kim Scheidt, #146
- An Abundance of Dads by Skye Rios (with Melanie Rios), #146
- Second Family by Arizona Nashoba, #146
- Creating Family Where We Are Now: Building Sustainable Communities with the Next Generation Zane Hamm, #153
- Growing Up in Ecovillage at Ithaca by Allegra Willet, #156
- Reminiscences: Growing Up in Intentional Community by Karin Iona Sundberg, #160
- Raising Superheroes: How Our Kids Are Learning to Use Their Power for Good by Alyson Ewald, #160
- Esther and the Princess of the Fairies by Brent Levin, #160
- Community, Public School, and Culture Clash: Food for Thought from Rural Missouri by Sam Makita, #160
You can have ALL the BEST
Volume VIII is part of a 15-volume compilation of the Best of Communities magazine. The set includes over 200 articles about intentional communities from the 1990’s and 2000’s. Purchase the entire set and save!
Communities magazine is now published by GEN-US
For over 30 years, the Foundation for Intentional Community had the pleasure to publish Communities magazine.
Although we are no longer its publisher, Communities is still alive and thriving with GEN-US. Subscribe to the magazine today!