Best of Communities Magazine
Communities magazine is the leading publication for all topics related to intentional community. From the broad-stroked overviews to the intimate details, this quarterly publication covers it all. With so much content to explore, we’ve distilled it into a single compilation!
Volume I – Intentional Community Overview and Starting a Community
Do you want to start an intentional community? This book includes 15 of the best articles from Communities magazine about how to build a community. Learn about what it takes to get a community started from people who have done it!
In this book you’ll find:
- first-hand stories from forming communities
- helpful advice about legal structures
- the importance of community spirit
- how to assess prospective property
- the importance of making process agreements before you need to apply them
The following 15 articles will provide a peek behind the curtain at some the pitfalls and challenges facing community builders, so that you’ll have a more realistic idea of what it will take to survive your start-up years and actually become a home.
You will recognize authors leading the intentional community movement, representing cutting-edge thinking and how-to explorations of the social, ecological, and economic aspects of sustainable living.
Volume I includes the following articles:
- In Community, Intentionally by Geoph Kozeny, Directory 2007
- Setting the Record Straight: 13 Myths about Intentional Community by Diana Leafe Christian, Geoph Kozeny, Laird Schaub, #112
- A Communitarian Conundrum: Why a World That Wants and Needs Community Doesn’t Get It by Timothy Miller, #151
- You Know You Live in Community When… by Virginia Lore and Maril Crabtree, #124
- “Cults” and Intentional Communities: Working Through Some Complicated Issues by Tim Miller, Directory 2007
- Community Spirit, Community ‘Glue’ by Geoph Kozeny, #107
- Wisdom for Within,Wisdom from Without Karen Iona Sundberg, #159
- Six Ingredients for Forming Communities (That Help Reduce Conflict Down the Road) by Diana Leafe Christian, Directory 2000
- Legal Structures for Intentional Communities in the United States by Dave Henson, with Albert Bates, Allen Butcher, and Diana Leafe Christian, Directory 2000
- Buying Your Community Property by Frances Forster and Byron Sandford, Directory 1995
- Throwing in the Founder’s Towel by Ma’ikwe Schaub Ludwig, #144
- Emergency Community by Jesika Feather, #144
- Yes, Wealthy People Want to Live in Community in Sustainable Ways Too! by Jennifer Ladd, #159
- My Advice to Others Planning to Start an Ecovillage by Lois Arkin, #156
- Dandelion Village: Building an Ecovillage in Town by Maggie Sullivan, #156
You can have ALL the BEST
Volume I is part of a 15-volume compilation of the Best of Communities magazine. The set includes over 200 articles about intentional communities from the 1990’s and 2000’s. Purchase the entire set and save!
Communities magazine is now published by GEN-US
For over 30 years, the Foundation for Intentional Community had the pleasure to publish Communities magazine.
Although we are no longer its publisher, Communities is still alive and thriving with GEN-US. Subscribe to the magazine today!