Best of Communities Magazine
Communities magazine is the leading publication for all topics related to intentional community. From the broad-stroked overviews to the intimate details, this quarterly publication covers it all. With so much content to explore, we’ve distilled it into a single compilation!
Volume XIV – Challenges and Lessons of Community
Let’s be real. As inspiring as intentional community is, it is also created by humans who bring their shadows along with them. We are not immune to hurt, danger, or conflict living in community. However, we have the tools to make those instances more endurable.
The following 19 articles shares from the heart, simultaneously presenting what’s compelling and what’s at risk when living closely with others.
You will recognize authors leading the intentional community movement, representing cutting-edge thinking and how-to explorations of the social, ecological, and economic aspects of sustainable living.
Volume XIV includes the following articles:
- Noble Suffering and Appropriate Sacrifice by Ma’ikwe Ludwig, #115
- More Confident, Less Idealistic (How We Grow in Community) by Keenan, #86
- Balancing Justice and Mercy at Aprovecho by Laurie F. Childers, #85
- The ‘Shadow Side’ of Community: Denial and the Demise of Kerista by Mitch Slomiak, #97
- The Hard Road to Accountability by Anne Blaney, #105
- More Change . . . 100 Mile House & the Emissaries Today by Anne Blaney, #105
- Healing from Sex/Power Abuse in Community by Shri Estes, #87
- Hard Lessons from Our Children by Anonymous, #84
- Twin Oaks’ Labor Credit System: How members of one income-sharing community feel about their labor-contribution system by FEC, #135
- Hard Times at Orinda by Kristina Janzen, #144
- Building Community in Hard Times by Randa Johnson, #144
- Cigarettes, Alcohol, Visitors, and Events by Beatrice Briggs, Tree Bressen, Caroline Estes, Laird Schaub, #142
- Avoiding Abundance’s Traps by Laird Schaub, Tree Bressen, Diana Leafe Christian, #144
- Balancing Inner and Outer Ecology by Tree Bressen, Beatrice Briggs, Laird Schaub, Paul DeLapa, #143
- From Visions of Utopia to “The Many Faces of Community” by Maril Crabtree, #146
- Gifted, Mad, and Out of Control by Alexis Ziegler, #150
- Diversity Issues in Los Angeles Eco-Village by Lois Arkin, #155
- Vision and Reality in Ecotopia: Making Lemonaid out of Lemons at the Port Townsend EcoVillage by Helen Kolff, #156
- Gratitude, Loss, Rebirth, and Community by Chris Roth, #157
You can have ALL the BEST
Volume XIV is part of a 15-volume compilation of the Best of Communities magazine. The set includes over 200 articles about intentional communities from the 1990’s and 2000’s. Purchase the entire set and save!
Communities magazine is now published by GEN-US
For over 30 years, the Foundation for Intentional Community had the pleasure to publish Communities magazine.
Although we are no longer its publisher, Communities is still alive and thriving with GEN-US. Subscribe to the magazine today!