Best of Communities Magazine
Communities magazine is the leading publication for all topics related to intentional community. From the broad-stroked overviews to the intimate details, this quarterly publication covers it all. With so much content to explore, we’ve distilled it into a single compilation!
Volume X – Sustainable Food, Energy, and Transportation
Does your community hold sustainability as a shared value?
While there are a number of shared values an intentional community may live by, sustainability is commonly one of them. Living cooperatively, in practice, impacts our carbon footprint, transportation use, and food consumption.
Many communities embody sustainability as a shared value with:
- collective gardening
- land regeneration
- shared meals
- vehicle coops
- alternative energy
- and so much more!
The following 15 articles offers inspiration and practical advice about what it takes to meet your basic needs close to home.
You will recognize authors leading the intentional community movement, representing cutting-edge thinking and how-to explorations of the social, ecological, and economic aspects of sustainable living.
Volume X includes the following articles:
- Peak Oil & Community Food Security: How organized neighborhoods and small towns are ensuring their future food supply by Ethan Genauer, #130
- Celebrating the Food Revolution! by Alyson Ewald, #135
- Food, Glorious Food! by Stan Hildebrand, #135
- Where There Are Cooks,There’s Good Morale by Ma’ikwe Ludwig, #121
- Food Security in Community by Blake Cothron, #144
- Hugelkultur on the Prairie, or Learning from Our Mistakes by Alyson Ewald, #153
- Permaculture on Low to No Budget by Elizabeth Barrette, #153
- The Sharing Gardens by Llyn Peabody, #153
- The Haybox Cooker: Why Every Community Needs One by Chris Roth, #115
- Community Survival During the Coming Energy Decline by Jan Steinman and Diana Leafe Christian, #130
- Off the Grid and Out of the Trash Can Arjuna da Silva, #156
- Findhorn’s Incredible Shrinking Footprint by Jonathan Dawson, #143
- Sharing and Climate Change: A Human-Sized Answer to a Global Problem by Bucket Von Harmony, #143
- Cars and Rabbits by Alline Anderson, #143
- Car-Reduced and Car-Free Rural Communities by Greg Ramsey, #147
Volume X is part of a 15-volume compilation of the Best of Communities magazine. The set includes over 200 articles about intentional communities from the 1990’s and 2000’s. Purchase the entire set and save!
Communities magazine is now published by GEN-US
For over 30 years, the Foundation for Intentional Community had the pleasure to publish Communities magazine.
Although we are no longer its publisher, Communities is still alive and thriving with GEN-US. Subscribe to the magazine today!