- Publisher’s Note: Enhancing Community Where You Are by Laird Schaub
- Stephen Gaskin Dies at 79 by Laird Schaub
- Notes from the Editor: Talking about Community by Chris Roth
- Deepening Community: The joy of togetherness by Paul Born
Community grows when we make time to share our stories, enjoy one another, take care of one another, and work on building a better world together.
- Creating a Movement by Rachel Brnjas
Seeking Community and other initiatives of the Tamarack Institute aim to catalyze a community revitalization movement.
- Community Conversations Campaign: Final Thoughts and Next Steps by Derek Alton
In an age when prioritizing community is itself radical, self-awareness, self-care, and storytelling are essential to deepening our connections.
- A Community Conversation at Whole Village by Sylvia Cheuy
For intentional community members, community comes with added benefits, unique challenges, and a call to authenticity.
- The Community We Built by Carly Fraser
Residents of Guelph, Ontario, build community with intention in an existing suburban neighborhood.
- Village Conversations: Delburne’s Story by Nora Smith and Karen Fegan
Nearly half of a Canadian town’s residents, from “all sides of the street,” participate in its Community Conversations initiative.
- Sharing Stories and Rituals by SILC Guelph
By sitting down to talk, a forming intentional community reconnects with its reasons for coming together..
- Kawsmos: The Unintentional Community by Mary Wharff, Elizabeth Schultz, and Deborah Altus
After 11 years of gathering, a group of Kaw Valley’s cosmic explorers realizes that community has happened to them.
- Love and Bucket Brigades, Interdependence and Evolution: A Community Conversation at Lampa Mountain Community by Sara Donna
A small communal family discusses how they got good at cooperating, and other essentials of collective life.
- A Welcome Intimacy, or Too Little Privacy?: Community Conversations at Lost Valley by Macy Osborne
Is community living the best thing since sliced bread, or the worst thing since sliced bread? It depends who—and when—you ask.
- Meta-Conversation: an Exercise in Whimsical and Critical Facilitation by Melanie Meltzer and Mollie Nisen
When they crave an especially deep or challenging discussion, Gesundheit!’s meta-conversers excuse themselves (from the mundane)—then stir the collective pot, lie down, or go for a walk.
- Conversations, Continuity, and Community by Paul Freundlich
Dancers learn to embrace change, cooperation, and the physical component of communication.
- Conversations Take Wing: The RareBirds Housing Cooperative Story by Mary Jordan
Friends explore their visions and shared purpose, and an intentional community is born.
- From Conversation to Community: How a Bunch of Mates Bought Some Land Together by John Hepburn
“Wouldn’t it be great to buy a block of land together in the bush?” Dinner party conversations yield unexpected fruit.
- On the Ropes at Harbourside Cohousing by Margaret Critchlow
When creating community becomes a literal tightrope walk, how do the actively aging fare?
- Oakleigh Meadow Cohousing Hard at Work “Building Community, One Conversation at a Time” by Cindy Nickles
Members of a forming community learn about empathy, understanding, conflict-handling, and other elements of healthy communication.
- Jewish Intentional Community Building in the US by Rachael Cohen
- Agriculture, Wild Foods, and the Future: a story about how changing community changed my perspective by Wren Vile
- It Is My Turn by Marianne Gueymard
- Koh Panyee: A Thriving Community, Defying the Odds by Peter McGugan
- The Investment’s Fine—Join the Pool! by Richard Grossman
- Radical Governance Changes in Two North American Ecovillages by Diana Leafe Christian
- Creating Cooperative Culture—Seeing the Good in the World, Part II: Transformative Learning Experiences at Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage by Morgan Middlebrooks and Joshua Lockyer
Communities Magazine #164 (Fall 2014) – Community Conversations