Tyagarah, New South Wales, Australia
- Last updated: February 28, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 24, 2005
We are a residential community near Byron Bay.
The community and most, though not all, of the people living here are inspired by Osho. If you are inspired by permaculture, Papaji, meditation, bush regeneration, Amma, 5 Rhythms, NVC, Watsu, gardening, John de Ruiter, vipassana, contact dance, yoga, or just long walks on the beach, then you are likely to find people here who share your enthusiasm.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1986
- Start Living Together: 1986
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.gondwanasanctuary.org
- Contact Name: Mitra
- Phone: +61-2-6684-7210
- Community Address:
23 Prestons Lane
Tyagarah, New South Wales, 2481
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Seeks consensus first
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Requires purchase of a house, people often participate as renters before that.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Energy sources: Solar, Clean Energy from the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Stage or Auditorium
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Our common spaces are vegetarian, but people have personal choice in their own spaces.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, Osho
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual