Zephyr Valley Community Co-op
Rushford, Minnesota, United States
- Last updated: February 13, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: January 22, 2005
Building a rural community and nurturing the land.
The land, bought by the Coop in 1994, has hundreds of acres of restored wetlands, pastures, woodland, bluff lands, high grass meadows, ponds, creeks and a trout stream. It’s a great place for children to grow up with an intimate knowledge of the natural world.
80 acres of land are farmed organically, currently in pasture & prairie flower plantings.
There are six individual homes and one under construction which is available for sale. Homes occasionally are available for rent. We have two barns and several outbuildings.
We have a community center (for community meals, parties, meetings, guests, etc.) as well as a spring-fed swimming pond, a soccer/baseball field, and trails for walking and skiing.
Winona, Rushford, and La Crosse are all within a 30-minute drive, bringing you five college campuses, an arts community, and a family-friendly environment.
This is a wonderful place to live, whether you’re interested in small-scale, organic farming or just in living in a rural community.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1993
- Start Living Together: 1994
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.zephyrvalleycoop.org
- Community Address:
30935 Zephyr Valley Ln
Rushford, Minnesota, 55971-4213
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Join Fee: $10000
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $50
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Occasional community work parties
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Energy sources: Connected to the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: No, it is slow.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
No smoking allowed in our community house
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Wiscoy Valley Community Land Cooperative
zephyr valley, zvcc, winona, rushford, southeast, minnesota, wetlands, organic, trails