Wise Acres Cooperative Association
Indianola, Washington, United States
- Last updated: January 10, 2019 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Wise Acres is a cohousing community of nine member households. We are comprised of teachers, programmers, artists, farmers, cooks, entrepreneurs, and craftspeople.
Each member household owns title to a 1/3-acre lot, as well as an equal share in the 13-acre forested greenbelt, large and abundant organic garden, orchard, hot tub, community house, etc.
The group shares dinners twice each week, regular meetings, and spontaneous trips to local mountains, movies, beaches, etc. There are no required political or spiritual affiliations. We are individuals and families inspired by the riches gained by committing ourselves to actively participate in community.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1990
- Start Living Together: 1990
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.wise-acres.org/
- Contact Name: Wise Acres Cooperative Association
- Phone: 360-297-7480
- Mailing Address:
PO Box 490
Indianola, Washington, 98342
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: —
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Wise Acres has a decision model that strives for consensus, and has an alternative fallback process.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Additional Comments:
We have community dinners twice per week (Monday and Wednesday evenings). Attendance is not mandatory (occasionally folks will miss dinner for other meetings or events, kid sports schedules, plans, etc….), but it works best when their is an intention to preserve this time for connection, sharing, celebration while maintaining balance with other committments. Each household cooks for the group (of about 30ish people) approximately once per month. We have a large organic garden, and from approx March-October each household commits to at least 2.5 hours of gardening per week. Each household also commits to a one community chore (annual sign-up) ranging from hot tub cleaning, garden coordinating, treasurer, common house cleaner, lawn mower, trail and blackberry clearer, etc… These jobs on average take approx 4-5 hours per month. (some are more seasonal than others: eg. Lawn mowing is approx 10 hrs/mth summer, zero in winter…). Members are expected to attend our monthly business meeting (2nd Wednesday of month, 6:30-8:30 pm), and our monthly community support meeting (4th Wednesday of the month, 7:00-8:30 pm).
Wise Acres collects quarterly membership dues.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Varies by memeber