Wiscoy Valley Community Land Cooperative
Winona, Minnesota, United States
- Last updated: January 2, 2019 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
We value good communication, the consensus process, creativity, organic land management, renewable energy, and fun.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1975
- Start Living Together: 1975
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Bill Carter/Tony Brown/Cherie Hales
- Phone: 507-452-4990
- Community Address:
31783 Bur Oak Lane
Winona, Minnesota, 55987-6190
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
People take individual leadership on issues and projects important to them.
- Join Fee: $3005.00
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $36
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Cleaning schedules for community building is 4/year and work days for special projects. Some work is paid, such as bookkeeping, mowing, or maintenance. People volunteer for committees and special projects such as cemetery, party preparation, etc.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Energy sources: Solar, Clean Energy from the Grid
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Gym or sports area
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We have several vegetarians too.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Sufi
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Zephyr Valley Community Co-op
Fair Housing Laws
This community acknowledges that their listing does not include any potential violations of the Fair Housing Law, or that they do not provide housing. For any questions about this topic please see our Content Policies and contact FIC with any questions or concerns: [email protected].
consensus, organic, rural, renewable energy