Asheville, North Carolina, United States
- Last updated: September 29, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: January 25, 2005
The Westwood Cohousing Community is dedicated to building a vibrant, caring, sustainable community where diversity, cooperation, trust and respect are valued and encouraged.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1992
- Start Living Together: 1998
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.westwoodcohousing.com/
- Contact Name: Rotates. See our website for details.
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Whole group decisions and most decisions of Teams are made by consensus, following the general outline of CT Butler’s book, “On Conflict and Consensus.” Teams are given authority to make many decisions autonomously. We elect a Board of Directors, which has substantial legal authority to make decisions for the group.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 1
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Assessments are collected for the operating and reserve budgets. Expected work contribution is 4 hours a month.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US