Village Hearth Cohousing
Durham, North Carolina, United States
- Last updated: November 21, 2018 (4 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: April 9, 2015
To create a caring community of LGBTs, friends, and allies with the infrastructure to age in place, balancing the privacy of a smaller sustainable dwelling with opportunities for social engagement and the support of the larger community.
Village Hearth Cohousing began construction in November 2018 on 15 beautiful wooded acres just 20 minutes from downtown Durham, NC. We are building 28 accessible, single-level homes that we planned with the guidance of Katie McCamant and Charles Durrett. Only a few are still available and we are so pleased with the way our community has come together. Our members are committed to mutual support and bring a wide variety of skills and interests to share. We expect to move in late 2018 or early 2020.
Village Hearth Cohousing is the first LGBT-focused 55+ cohousing community in the United States. Our members include LGBT couples and singles, straight couples and singles, still working and retirees (and our pets).
We look forward to eating the food grown in our gardens, building things to enhance our homes and community in the woodworking shop and the art studios, going on hikes, bicycle rides, and kayaking trips at the many nearby natural areas (including access to North Carolina’s Mountain to the Sea trail directly from our land), staying fit in the exercise room, meditating in our woods, or just enjoying each other’s company on our front porches and common house terrace.
For more information, visit our website, www.VillageHearthCohousing.com, follow us on Facebook, or join our Meetup group (Durham Village Hearth Cohousing). Contact Pat or Margaret at Vill[email protected]
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2015
- Start Living Together: 2019
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.VillageHearthCohousing.com
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/villagehearthcohousing
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/VHcoho
- Other social: http://www.meetup.com/Durham-Village-Hearth-Cohousing
- Contact Name: Pat McAulay and Margaret Roesch
- Phone: 561-714-8009
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Sociocracy
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We are in the process of adopting sociocracy.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US
Fair Housing Laws
This community acknowledges that their listing does not include any potential violations of the Fair Housing Law, or that they do not provide housing. For any questions about this topic please see our Content Policies and contact FIC with any questions or concerns: [email protected].
LGBT, LGBT retirement, cohousing, Durham, NC, senior, accessible, age in place, diversity, active,