Valley Oaks Village
Chico, California, United States
- Last updated: December 2, 2018 (3 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Mixed Age Community Living
We are located near 3,600 acre Bidwell Park, which serves as a protected bikeway used by many residents to bicycle to and from work and school.
We have an active social calendar with events planned throughout the year. We share evening meals about twice a week and residents take an active role in planning and maintaining the community.
Other amenities include a workshop, arts and crafts room, bike sheds, gardens, orchard, gazebos, pool, and tree house. The Common House includes a kitchen, multipurpose dining room, laundry, lounge, game room, teen room, and guest quarters (with shower).
Environmental design features include highly insulated homes, solar electric panels and solar hot water for the common areas, drought-tolerant landscape with drip irrigation, recycling and compost areas, and storm water swales for ground-water recharge.
For residential/membership info, email [email protected] or see our web site at www.chicocohousing.org
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1991
- Start Living Together: 1996
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.chicocohousing.org
- Contact Name: Valley Oaks Village
- Community Address:
1950 Wild Oak Lane
Chico, California, 95928
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $245
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 1
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Rental rooms in some homes may be available
8 hours per month
Homeowners Assn Fees
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Mostly Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
1-3 times/week half participate
Organic, local preferred. Gluten free, vegetarian option.
Smoking in private homes only, but rare.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Native American, Eclectic (integrates pieces from many religions)
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling