Nubeena, Tasmania, Australia
- Last updated: February 28, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: April 10, 2011
Our vision is a thriving, caring community which celebrates our connection with the earth and with each other.
Overlooking Parsons Bay in Nubeena, on the stunningly beautiful Tasman Peninsula, our 23 acre property is being transformed into a modern, sustainable and affordable community. We are re-purposing a 70s motel and are fortunate to have inherited several lovely community spaces – a large kitchen, common room, spa and sauna, tennis courts and bbq area. The land is undulating with diverse natural features.
Just an hour and a quarter from Tasmania’s capital city, Hobart, we are surrounded by beaches, forest and magnificent scenery. We are five minutes walk from the centre of Nubeena, where there are many services: district school to year 10, police and emergency services, doctor, chemist, post office, two supermarkets and a tavern.
We have a vision of a way of life that –
● affirms our understanding that we are an integral part of nature, respects all beings, and treads more lightly on the Earth,
● acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land and the rich diversity of our own ancestral histories,
● is resilient and able to adapt to a changing world,
● is sustainable ecologically, socially and economically,
● is developing efficient, sustainable and locally-based systems for food, water and energy,
● is cooperative and mutually supportive,
● has decision-making and group processes which promote harmony,
● encourages a focus on relationship and inner peace,
● provides a safe, loving environment where everyone flourishes and is nurtured,
● is a vibrant hub of community arts and crafts,
● is fully engaged with the larger community of which it is a part, and
● is a place of healing, training and education
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2007
- Start Living Together: 2013
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.tasmanecovillage.org.au
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tasman-Ecovillage-194545617247792/
- Contact Name: Karen Weldrick
- Phone: 0418361015
- Community Address:
1583 Nubeena Rd
Nubeena, Tasmania, 7184
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Small Town
- Decision Making: Sociocracy
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $90
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
The “ongoing contribution” of $90 per month is the Owners Corporation fee. It pays for maintenance, insurance and other property expenses. Membership of TEVA (Tasman Ecovillage Association) is $10 per year.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Energy sources: Solar, Clean Energy from the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Hot tub or hot springs, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Global Ecovillage Network (GEN)
inclusive, diverse, connected, coastal, organic, affordable, permaculture, CSA, renewable energy