Summit Avenue Cooperative
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
- Last updated: January 3, 2019 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Residential housing and meals
The membership has gone through many changes since then, but the goal has always been to provide affordable housing in a friendly, family-like community environment. Our diverse membership includes students, professionals, and working folks from all walks of life, and we share no particular political or ideological bent.
We all share the duties of running the house, from cooking to cleaning to keeping the books, through a work-job system that entails about five hours per week of work, plus dish-washing or floor-mopping duty every week or so.
The heart of our community life revolves around the delicious, vegetarian-option house meals served Sunday through Thursday at 6pm. We make decisions, usually by simple majority, at house meetings held every two and a half weeks. Temporary committees are regularly created to handle specific projects such as financial planning or landscape planning.
What makes us special? We’re a bunch of quirky, unrelated folks who manage to operate almost like a family and run a clean, friendly home, and it works!
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1970
- Start Living Together: 1970
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.summitavenue.coop
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SummitAvenueCoop
- Phone: 608-238-3441
- Community Address:
1820 Summit Ave
Madison, Wisconsin, 53726-4093
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Voting (majority or super-majority rule)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Join Fee: $75
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 5
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
Monthly contribution ranges from $414 to $622 as of 2019, depending on room size.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Common meals are required to be primarily vegetarian but may occasionally include a meat option at the discretion of the cook for the evening.
Smoking is not permitted in shared living spaces but is allowed outdoors.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)