Southwest Sufi Community
Silver City, New Mexico, United States
- Last updated: September 15, 2017 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: October 13, 2004
Spiritual retreat & inclusive spiritual community.
The Southwest Sufi Community (SSC), located near Silver City, New Mexico, is first and foremost a spiritually oriented community, promoting understanding of the Sufi message, but welcoming to students of inclusive spiritual paths. We deepen our spiritual path through direct experience and eat, dance, and pray together. The community, begun in June 1995, is a retreat center, a nature preserve, and a residential village on 1,500 acres along year-round Bear Creek. We host group and individual retreats with inclusive spiritual themes.
People interested in residency at the Southwest Sufi Community want to have the pioneer spirit, be financially self-sufficient or resourceful, and in good health. Since the land is remote from town, it is not practical to commute. People will need to support themselves in creative ways. Those interested in establishing cottage industries on the land are especially encouraged to come and check us out.
The best way to get to know the community is to come for a visit, or attend one of our camps or retreats We offer limited indoor accommodations, camping, vegetarian meals, classes, and time in nature. We welcome visitors at other times, too, especially on weekends. Please write or email before planning a visit and tell us you saw this listing in the Communities Directory.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1995
- Start Living Together: 1998
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://sites.google.com/site/southwestsuficommunity/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SouthwestSufiCommunity/
- Contact Name: Rashad Wilson
- Phone: 5755381798
- Community Address:
PO Box 373
Silver City, New Mexico, 88062-0373
- Type(s): Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We take turns as facilitator of the weekly community meeting. One volunteer acts as Host/Coordinator for visitors. phone, email requests..
The Participants Weekly Meeting and the Board of Directors
Our Community Participants meet weekly to conduct community business.
Our Community strives for consensus, but it is not a rigid standard. Our Board of Directors works by consensus minus one.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Any debts are an individual responsibility.
There is no specific requirement. Participants volunteer to help with the work of the community.
Participants pay a $100 participation fee monthly and $15 to $175 per month rent depending upon the accomodations.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Outdoor Kitchen, Large Scale Kitchen, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Diet is by individual choice
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Weekly potluck; plus frequent impromptu get-togethers
We are continuing to expand our garden space. We have and use irrigation rights from our creek.
Our retreat meals are vegetarian
Individual choices vary; potlucks are primarily vegetarian; retreat meals are all vegetarian
Usually not at potlucks, never at retreats; individual use allowed.
Special smoking area at retreats. No smoking in shared space.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Sufi
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Sufi Ruhaniat International
spiritual, inclusive, permaculture, live in harmony with nature, nature preserve,cooperation