Shepherdstown, West Virginia, United States
- Last updated: September 11, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: January 29, 2016
A welcoming cohousing community, supportive of each other, our larger community, and the environment.
A cohousing community of 30 households, now building, welcoming and inclusive, using planet-friendly building materials and practices. Embraced by the beauty of rivers & mountains, and nestled in a culturally dynamic, small university town
Homes 904-1482sq ft. footprint, some with second floor loft and basement options.
Community members share ownership of:
• 4000 sq ft solar-powered Common House
• walking paths through our wooded 19-acre site
• community garden (and chicken coop)
• shared woodworking and tool shop
• bike & kayak and other storage
• recycling shed
Shepherd Village is ideal for empty nesters who are looking to downsize and simplify their lives in the Eastern Panhandle of WV while enjoying the gifts of intentional community. Shepherd Village is a 10 min drive to the MARC commuter train to Washington DC. The site is also a short walk from the heart of town, with its shops and restaurants, easy access to the Potomac River and many outdoor activities. Shepherd University offers a wide variety of cultural and educational opportunities, and hosts the nationally acclaimed Contemporary American Theatre Festival every summer.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2011
- Start Living Together: 2018
- Visitors accepted: No
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://shepherdvillage.net
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShepherdVillageCohousing/
- Contact Name: Nan Broadhurst
- Community Address:
50 Shepherd Village Circle
Shepherdstown, West Virginia, 25443
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Small Town or Village
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We are forming our HOA rules and fees now.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US, Mid-Atlantic Cohousing
Shepherd Village, Shepherdstown WV, Cohousing, empty nesters