Gold Bar, Washington, United States
- Last updated: July 6, 2017 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: April 24, 2016
Our focus is Community Security. Our mission is to make our focus an adventure.
We are a retired engineer with a background in law enforcement and a trauma nurse who is employed a few days a week at a medical center in Seattle. We are both in our early 50s and very healthy.
We are building an off-grid compound on 6 wooded acres with forest service land on 3 sides of the property. So far, we have a main cabin (2-story A-frame) and a tiny house (80 sq. ft.) that we are using as a shed.
We have solar power with battery bank and backup generator for power. We have hot and cold running water gravity fed from artisan well. We have washer/dryer, HBO, Internet, SunMar composting toilets, and much more.
The spring, summer, and fall here are very nice. The winters are nice too but the snow can be a challenge. Harvesting firewood is a never-ending chore.
We live here full time with our 22-year-old daughter and our two pit bull terriers.
We are creative problem-solvers, we work hard, and we play just as hard. We are considerate and responsible. Politically, we align with the Libertarians. Spiritually, we align with the Christians. But we try not to label ourselves.
We are gun-owners, we practice regularly.
We are at the point now where we want to bring others in and start building up this community.
A like-minded couple with the wherewithal to fund and build their own quarters, tiny house or otherwise, would be perfect.
This is not a “live off the land” opportunity nor is it a “chop down my trees and build a cabin for free” opportunity. You need skills and gear to live in the mountains, funds to sustain your lifestyle, gumption to actually fall through with your plans, and a plan.
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 10
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
You must have the means to fund your off-grid lifestyle.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Energy sources: Solar, Wind, Hydro-Electric, Biofuel
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Almost All, around 90%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Hot tub or hot springs, Outdoor Kitchen, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Recreational vehicles, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We do permit tobacco use in designated areas.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Christian
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual