Salt Spring Centre of Yoga
Salt Spring Island, Canada
- Last updated: February 8, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: June 23, 2009
working yoga retreat centre
The Centre sits on 69 acres of land in the heart of scenic Salt Spring Island. Six acres are farmed organically and most of the produce goes to our kitchen for residents and guests. We have a small alternative school (K-6) and a wellness centre providing Ayurvedic and other treatments.
We welcome applications for our Residential Karma Yoga program, and we also have periodic job opportunities that pay a small stipend that are available for skilled workers. For details, as well as information about other opportunities to stay at the Centre–like facility rentals, personal retreats and other retreats–please see our website at www.saltspringcentre.com
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1974
- Start Living Together: 1981
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.saltspringcentre.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/saltspringcentreofyoga/
- Phone: 250-537-2326
- Community Address:
355 Blackburn Road
Salt Spring Island, V8K 2B8
- Type(s): Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Yoga, retreats & rentals
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
consensus except for core principles
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Vegetarian (no animal meat or eggs; dairy okay)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Yes – we all share a common diet.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Classical Ashtanga yoga
- Education Style(s): Private Schooling at the Community
Mount Madonna Center
yoga, ayurveda, healing, school, retreat, classes, farming