Roosevelt, Utah, United States
- Last updated: April 3, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: May 18, 2013
Seeking Ecological Harmony and a Meaningful Way of Sustainable Living.
• In 2012 a private grant was received for setting up the gardens farming projects infrastructure and managed commons accommodations based projects. The programs became a 501c(5) non-profit endeavor in 2015.
• Location is a high desert (5,300 ft altitude) locale with commons facilities supported gardens farming & learning center located on 35 secluded acres that includes fully outfitted homestead/farmstead-style facilities.
• Located an hour’s drive of the magnificent Uinta Mountain’s 6 forested drainages (Duchesne, Rock Creek, Lake Fork, Yellowstone, Uinta & Whiterocks) and wilderness trailheads, camp grounds, herb walks opportunities and weekend outdoor activities.
• Fully outfitted with: Compact and sub-compact tractors and garden/farming two-wheel tractors, implements; high tunnel hoop house; 4 season green house; fowls (chickens/turkeys/ducks) growing/egg laying projects; pressure irrigated gardens & open pasture; wooded pocket parks & greens; fully outfitted tools shed; sustainable composting projects; numerous zoned gardens; planned for walipini style green houses project; etc.
• Participant amenities include: 3 season outfitter’s kitchen & dining arena; a cultural/spirit yurt; 4-season indoor ‘Commons’ facility (gathering room + kitchen galley + shower/utility room); three 4-season indoor bunking quarters (sleeps 10 individuals); outdoor 3 season line shed sleeping unit (sleeps 4); outdoor 3 season enclosed dry toilets & showers; large weather resistant 3-season Springbar® canvas cabins (accommodates numerous individuals); and an earth sauna/sweat lodge.
• Projects agendas includes: non-chemical ecological friendly centered environs; bio-sustainable gardening; small livestock tending; herbal medicine instruction & practices; nutrition & cooking (incl. vegetarian, paleo and gluten-free meals); ecology-based philosophy & practices; energy & vibrational healing instruction & practices (incl. yoga & meditation).
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2010
- Start Living Together: 2012
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.oasisgardens.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OasisGardensandLearningCenter/
- Contact Name: Kendra Jones
- Phone: 435-823-8506
- Community Address:
3727 West Cobble Hollow Drive
Roosevelt, Utah, 84066
- Type(s): Student Housing or Student Co-Op, Unspecified, or Other
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Organization, Resource, or Network, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, 501(c)(5) (Non-Profit)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By an individual community leader
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
As a 501(c()5) endeavor, Oasis Gardens projects are administered by its Board of Trustees. Oasis Gardens day-to-day operations is in turn administered by a Projects Manager who oversees project supervisors.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 25
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
• Oasis Gardens is a 501(c)(5) Non-Profit endeavor.
• Oasis Gardens is NOT an employment based endeavor for its members, volunteer, fee-based or work-stay programs participants. It is a volunteer and fee based educational learning center that is a work-stay managed homestead/farmstead-style participant driven endeavor.
• Any proceeds and/or outputs derived from projects are disbursed according to provisions of the 501(c)(5) organization bylaws.
• Property/community and its care/upkeep, gardens preparation & growing and harvesting, and infrastructure construction/maintenance of Oasis Gardens & Learning Center projects are volunteer and work-stay participant based.
• Oasis Gardens provides on-site domiciling & provisions for meals and relevant instruction/education for on-site domiciled work-stay volunteer and fee based student/education participants in exchange for daily task-oriented projects meeting a specific daily hourly and performance standard.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar, Clean Energy from the Grid, wood
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Outdoor Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Kosher, Halal, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-free. HFCS-free where possible.
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
• Community based shared meals preparation & cleanup, and individual based meals preparation & cleanup.
• Food from our gardens farm is sustainably/chemical-free grown.
• Meals typically contain high percentage of fibrous vegetables & fruits. Accommodate vegetarian and paleo preferences.
• Soy-free ingredients can be accommodated.
• ‘Gluten-Free’ foods available.
• Emphasis on ‘variety’ tied to a healthy ethnic cuisine approach.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Christian, Buddhist, Native American, Unitarian Universalist, Paganism or Earth Religions, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, Rainbow Family, Humanist
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Meet personal general hygienic standards, and domiciling and commons use clean-up and organization. Must comply with agricultural GAP (Good Agriculture Practices) and FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act) standards. Smoking only in designated areas. No open alcohol use allowed on premises except as approved by management on a case-by-case basis for special occasions or approved ceremonial use. Oasis Gardens is a drug-free location that complies with the laws of the State of Utah and Federal law where applicable.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
- Additional Comments:
Lifestyle is self-reliant and self-sustaining based and requires that participants exhibit a “Can Do – Will Do” self-initiative motivated attitude and do their part to contribute to the viability and ongoing operation of the projects. Oasis Gardens is also a sanctuary that embodies a peaceful and settled environment for learning, doing, experiencing, healing and self-realization.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Sponsor local community gardens. Member of local farmers markets. Food bank donor. Interface with 4-H, FHA and University of Utah extension programs.
Fair Housing Laws
This community acknowledges that their listing does not include any potential violations of the Fair Housing Law, or that they do not provide housing. For any questions about this topic please see our Content Policies and contact FIC with any questions or concerns: [email protected].
Ecovillage, Sanctuary, Ecology, Sustainable, Gardens, Organic, Self Reliance, Meaningful, Herbs, Nutrition, Health, Spiritual