New Brighton Cohousing
Aptos, California, United States
- Last updated: April 21, 2017 (1 month ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
We are interested in living sustainably as a community with committees to manage the organization and affinity groups to maintain the property. Although we are in a business partnership together, we also have strong social connections.
New Brighton Cohousing is an owner-occupied townhouse community, located at 6010-6034 Soquel Drive in Aptos, California, less than one mile from the beach. It was formed out of the umbrella organization Santa Cruz Cohousing and was established in the fall of 2007.
Currently we are a community of 19 adult members, three children, four cats and three dogs. About half the community works or has worked in social services and the other half in education, the sciences, medicine, and planning. Our ages range from 2 to 81. We enjoy each other’s company and share a common interest in living more sustainably.
The property consists of 11 individually owned 2-story townhomes in 3 buildings, and one 1600-square-foot two-bedroom, two-bathroom house, all situated around a central courtyard. We use the house as our common house, with kitchen, indoor and outdoor dining areas, a children’s room, and guest room.
Community amenities include two group meals per week, a guest room, dining and meeting space, indoor and outdoor children’s play areas, common garden and orchard.
Our community is designed, owned, and managed by the residents. Membership requires participation in meal preparation once a month, active participation on a committee and an affinity group as well as participation in quarterly community-wide work parties. As much as possible, we do the maintenance and upkeep of the property ourselves.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2001
- Start Living Together: 2007
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.newbrightoncohousing.org
- Contact Name: New Brighton Cohousing
- Community Address:
6020 Soquel Drive
Aptos, California, 95003
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Small Town
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
We have a business meeting on Sunday afternoon, once a month.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 1
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
With another person, each member pays for and prepares a dinner for the community once a month. All levels of cooking are accepted.
Washer/dryer use is $3 a load.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan.
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We eat together Sunday and Wednesday evenings and accommodate individual needs – vegan and food allergies. Everyone shows up for meals unless they sign out ahead of time.
We have a small vegetable garden and fruit orchard.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Protestant, Quaker, Unitarian Universalist, Paganism or Earth Religions, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US