Davis, California, United States
- Last updated: March 26, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Muir Commons co-housing is an inclusive, multi-generational, self-managed, participatory, consensus-based community, intentionally sharing time, space and resources. We are a caring, safe place for children and adults. We share skills, knowledge, tools, help, rides, meals, stories, celebrations, traditions, and concern for each other, our community and the planet.
Muir Commons was the first cohousing community newly constructed in the United States and was modeled after communities in Denmark. After several years of planning, ground breaking took place on November 1990 with the residents moving in during the summer of 1991. Most of the homes were constructed as affordable housing.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1989
- Start Living Together: 1991
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.muircommons.org/
- Contact Name: Muir Commons
- Community Address:
2222 Muir Woods Place
Davis, California, 95616
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Small Town
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $220
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 2
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Hot tub or hot springs, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual