St. Louis Park, Minnesota, United States
- Last updated: November 13, 2018 (5 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
A Cohousing Community
Occupations include computer programmers, artists, teachers, therapists, caregivers, scientists, architect, piano teacher, executive director, gardener, and more. Our traditions include parties, campfires, sing-alongs, game nights, house concerts, benefit auction, solstice celebration, etc. Community meals and “co-chats” (spontaneous conversations) are the glue that hold the community together. We self-manage, and value working together.
The community has an abundance of common space, including a large living room, library, kitchen, dining room, three-season porch, four working fireplaces, exercise room, wood shop, laundry room, children’s playroom, and office. Outdoor common space includes lawns with picnic areas, a play area, a vegetable garden, and an acre of woods. The grounds are lovingly landscaped; we often see deer and wild turkeys roaming through our property.
Homes include eight retrofit co-op apartments in an Edwardian mansion and seven townhomes built for the community. The two buildings are connected by a tunnel, which removes the weather as an obstacle to getting together. Home size ranges roughly from 400 to 1600 sq ft.
Our community grows from working together and shared experience.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1991
- Start Living Together: 1992
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.montereycohousing.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MontereyCohousingCommunity?fref=ts
- Contact Name: Monterey Cohousing
- Phone: 952-479-0660
- Community Address:
2925 Monterey Ave So.
St. Louis Park, Minnesota, 55416
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
We’re small enough for every adult member to be on the Board of Directors.
We use consensus minus one. (It takes two to block.)
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
There’s lots to do to keep the community running. Everyone is expected to contribute.
We have an annual budget, supported by membership dues that range from $318 to $764/month based on the size of the unit. In the co-op building these dues also cover the utilities and property tax.
There is no “joining fee” other than the purchase price of the unit. For renters there is a $20/month maintenance fee on top of the rent.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Gym or sports area
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We accommodate different needs at community meals
Roughly 15% vegetarians
No smoking in indoor common space.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US