Madison Community Cooperative (MCC)
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
- Last updated: December 30, 2015 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 17, 2004
Affordable urban co-op housing
Each of our houses features individual bedrooms, shared bathrooms, and a large communal kitchen. Members at all of our houses are part of house level dining co-ops. Most of these dining co-ops are also open to members of the Madison community who are not members of MCC.
Our members are young and old, workers and students, parents and non-parents, and represent a diversity of ethnicities, national backgrounds, genders, and sexual orientations. The central mission of MCC is to improve the Madison community by providing low-cost, nonprofit cooperative housing for very low- to moderate-income people, and to be inclusive of underrepresented and marginalized groups.
MCC is run by our members at our bi-weekly Board of Directors meetings; bi-weekly Maintenance, Finance, and Membership Committee meetings; tri-annual General Membership meetings; and weekly house meetings. Each of our houses has its own unique culture and history and is entrusted with a high level of autonomy. Each of our houses is responsible for its house policies, membership process, work/job system, annual budget development, minor maintenance program, dining co-op, house meeting system, and designation of Board and committee representatives.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1968
- Start Living Together: 1968
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.madisoncommunity.coop
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Madison-Community-Cooperative-351225228295247/
- Contact Name: Membership Coordinator
- Phone: 608-251-2667
- Community Address:
1202 Williamson St, Suite 106
Madison, Wisconsin, 53703
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Student Housing or Student Co-Op
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
House representatives to the board of directors and committees, officers elected at large
Most decisions are made using a form of consensus; General Membership decisions may be by some percentage of majority.
- Join Fee: $45
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Additional Comments:
Each house sets its own labor policies; generally individuals contribute 20-25 hours/month
Must be able to pay security deposit and monthly room & food charges
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Some houses buy & cook only vegetarian &/or vegan foods; others also buy & cook meat
Most houses do not allow tobacco smoking in common areas; some do allow it
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Madison Community Cooperatives, North American Students of Cooperation
Avalon Cooperative House, The Phoenix Cooperative House, Sofia Cooperative House, Syntropy Cooperative House, Ofek Shalom Cooperative House, Lothlórien Cooperative House, Hypatia Cooperative House, Friends’ Cooperative House, Audre Lorde Cooperative House, Ambrosia Cooperative House, International Cooperative House (ICH)