INGENIUM Expressive Arts Village
Nevada City, California, United States
- Last updated: December 29, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: April 24, 2014
Ingenium is a co-housing inspired village where expressive artists share their talents and passions, and inspire each other to cultivate their healthiest, most creative selves.
Ingenium is a small-scale cohousing inspired community, that can support eight expressive artists and their families. We are located on 48 private, wooded and very beautiful acres, just two miles from downtown Nevada City, California. We have several residence cabins, a common house with shared facilities & gathering space, a large garden space, hiking trails, swimming pond, and an art & workshop space. There are also future plans for an indoor spa/hot-tub sanctuary and a solar electric system.
We are open to creative souls of many types: writers, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, dancers, painters, sculptors, potters, thespians, craftspeople, even organic garden designers, alternative builders . . . people who have one or more creative passions that they generally practice on a regular basis.
We have the common goal of cultivating personal growth and vitality through healthy and clean living which would include cooperative communication and decision making, an absence of substance or media dependence, aesthetic individual and group environments, and holding a compassionate and supportive mindset.
Our intention is to form into a close, yet individually autonomous group – enjoying common grounds, a common house with shared facilities, shared studio and workshop spaces, special gatherings and collective projects; combined with individual housing, independent personal economics, independent spiritual persuasions and the like.
We consciously acknowledge the creative process as a vehicle towards enhanced sapience, specifically the development of heightened perception, sensitivity, intuition, insight and innovation. We recognize that inspiration derived from practicing the expressive arts promotes deepened interpersonal commonalities as well as physical, mental and emotional health. Our primary goal is to both model and practice a lifestyle where fostering our personal creative spirit, especially in the context of an on-site, supportive, like-minded group, encourages growth in our natural aptitude, social connection and holistic well-being.
All prospective and current members participate in “Compassionate Communication” training sessions, and are aligned with the Ingenium vision as outlined in the “Knowing More About Our Vision” page on our website, http://www.expressiveartsvillage.com/more-about-our-vision
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2014
- Start Living Together: 2016
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.expressiveartsvillage.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/286398561565644/
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Unspecified, or Other
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, Creativity Projects, Meditation & Healing Arts, Special Gatherings, Outings and Fun Community Service
- Location: Small Town or Village
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
The sentiment, “Consensus is not just a decision making method, it’s a philosophy of inclusion” very much describes the basic premise of our interpersonal dynamics. Everyone’s needs and concerns are important, and we work together to address each one in order to create cohesive plans towards moving forward.
We have monthly “Compassionate Communication” training sessions that all current and prospective members attend. After completing a tour, see our MeetUp group to sign up and sit in on a session. Our “Core Group” are both current residents and those who are working towards future residency.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 3
- Open to members with existing debt: No
- Additional Comments:
Most things like community economics, “government”, frequency of shared meals, labor requirements, fees, percent of self-generated power and food etc. are determined by the group.
We strongly encourage each prospective member to read Diana Leaf Christian’s book “Creating A Life Together” in order for each of us to be equally informed about the various aspects that we’ll be undergoing in establishing our community. This book is available on Amazon.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
One of our main values is healthy & clean living, with no dependence on any substance or media.
There is a strong preference at Ingenium for there to be no drug, tobacco, alcohol or media dependence among us, and we would like to align with others who feel this way as well.
That being said, we recognize that a strictly prohibitive policy might not be practical. In consideration of this, the following standards have been clarified:
> No cannabis growth is permitted inside dwellings or on the property
> No Alcohol, tobacco or cannabis use in common buildings or grounds, but occasional use is okay in private homes
> No cable T.V. or satellite utility will be installed, but internet access is available both in the Common House and in private dwellings.
> Curtailment of any other unhealthy dependencies is actively supported and encouraged.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs)
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Members are expected to have their own insurance and health care plan.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Expressive Arts, Expressive Artists, Art, Artists, Artist Colony, Creative, Creative Arts, Cohousing