IDEAL SOCIETY, Institute for the Development in Education, Arts and Leisure
Jaffray, British Columbia, Canada
- Last updated: December 23, 2018 (3 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: February 3, 2016
Specifically, I.D.E.A.L. seeks to:
• Communicate a vision of humanity as one family,
• Foster moral, social and aesthetic values through educational programs, art, leisure and travel,
• Establish local, regional, national and international prenatal and perinatal educational programs, birth centers and youth centers,
• Initiate local, regional, national and international seminars, artistic, musical and cross-cultural activities,
• Develop a way of life that embraces the laws of nature and respects the earth as a living organism.
I.D.E.A.L., the Institute for the Development of Education, Arts and Leisure is a not-for-profit Society under the provincial law of British Columbia, Canada.
The I.D.E.A.L. community includes parents, teachers, artists, and other professionals who have been developing a new educational system for the past 25 years. The past 10 years have been dedicated to the practical application of this system.
In May 2004, thanks to the social, humanitarian, ecological and cultural nature of the new educational system, I.D.E.A.L. was designated a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
In July 2005, I.D.E.A.L. was designated a Non-Governmental Organization associated with the Department of Public Information at the United Nations.
The Institute envisions the creation of a self-sustainable Community where I.D.E.A.L.’s new educational system can be implemented.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1993
- Start Living Together: 1993
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.idealsociety.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IDEALNGO
- Contact Name: Cristallin Toullec
- Phone: 1(250)4293350
- Community Address:
7770 Jaffray Baynes Lake Road
Jaffray, British Columbia, 280
- Type(s): Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
At the beginning of the organization, the founder Natacha Kolesar was playing a major leadership role. After her passing in 2013, the society reorganized itself into a collaborative model
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $400
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 15
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: Almost All, around 90%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Tractor & Farm Equipment, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Recreational vehicles, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Christian, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: Yes
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Global Ecovillage Network (GEN), Global Ecovillage Network – North America (GENNA)
Spirituality, Education, Holistic, Organic Agriculture, Arts, Music, Wellness